OK, thinking caps on please......

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

...customers scoot is in, i'm gonna start chasing through the igntion system to try and fault find, but thought i'd throw this one out there before i get started...............

Engine is in fine fettle mechanically, starts, revs, runs fine, however.....customer is out on a blast, he's done about 10 miles....and then engine just dies??? He jumps off, takes out the spark plug, puts a fresh one in, starts first kick and off he goes??? :?

Now the old spark plus isnt dead.......becasue a few miles later same happens, he jumps off, puts old plug (which is now cool) in, starts first kick....off he goes!!?? :shock:

Engine is TS1225, 35mm TMX, Agusto 7000 unit..........i dont think its fuel starvation as fuel flow is spot on, and it can happen both when he's crusing at 60mph or when he's just pottering round a slow corner or roundabout etc. So i am inclined to believe its ignition related, possibly something breaking down under load as engine gets hot...........??? But i'm expecting that stupid scenario where i chase through everything and find nothing, and so have to start replacing items one at a time and going out on 10-15 mile runs to fault find!!! :shock: :roll:

Any ideas, thoughts or similar experience.....................?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

I had a feeling I could answer your question, so I sat down until that feeling passed..
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

red ghost wrote:I had a feeling I could answer your question, so I sat down until that feeling passed..
OK, i don't want you suffering any dizzy spells....get some fresh air.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
soullad
Dealer

swapping components for known working ones looks like your only way forward and unfortunately that means taking it for a few miles...my money is on the LT coil breaking down, but could be dodgy pick-up, faulty augusto, CDI issues, worn plug cap etc.
If the customer lives local, why not let him do the road miles? :lol: :lol:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Got a mate with very similar problem, seems to go 2 to 3 miles then just stop dead as if electrical. Fires up again after 2 or 3 minutes without changing anything, then runs for another 2 to 3 miles before stopping again. He tried a new CDI yesterday and it got him home about 8 miles without cutting out. I'll report back later if it's run ok today.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Can you not just leave it on high tickover thus saving you from doing the miles?
leigh

My oney would be on coil/cdi breaking down
J1MS

First thing I would check is the cutout to the ignition switch (green wire from loonm to cdi) by removing it and going for a ride.

If the symptoms are the same and your certain there are nofaults on the plug cap ht and earthwire from cdi.

I would substitute another cdi and stator that I know work. Refit the cutout
Tale it for a ride if all is ok I would refit the old cdi and Augusto and try again if it cuts out now it's the cdi augusto. if its still running ok then it is most likely the stator.

Position of magnets relative to pick up when reved past tickover can cause faults play on the drive bearing in and out. But it's most likely a faulty pick up or bad earth at the lt voil or pick up.

Tgis is how I would attempt to fault find on an intermittent fault after using a multimeter.
minotaur

had same prob with dodgy af lightened flywheel when magnets came loose and touching stator, changed to an indian and fine ever since
carlos fandango

are they ngk plugs?
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information