Question about Mugello 186 cylinder.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArKaTxU
Dealer
Main scooter: TV175 64-Jet200 68-Jet200 82

Hi.
I have a Mugello 186, with tv175 crank, 28 BGM pwk carb and RamAir foam filter.
Now the kit have 3000Km and today i have checked.
If you see the spark plug, you see that the bike go more rich than lean.
The Mugello kit come with a cylinder head gasket of 0,1mm and 0,2mm. I have used the 0,2mm one, can i use the smaller one?
Thanks for your help!
Last edited by ArKaTxU on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
J1MS

The barrel looks to have picked up on some grit in the fuel, going by the fine verticle lines on the piston, either that or the lubrication afforded by the twostroke film of oil is breaking down and the piston and rings are picking up on the barrel leaving minor scoring on the piston and barrel. Im not the best qualified to comment, and some of the racers will have a far better Idea than me, But thats my best guess looking at the pictures....all the best 8-)........BTW...Good Photos.... The Piston looks to have caught the head, looking at the picture of the head but didnt notice anything on the piston????
ArKaTxU
Dealer

Maybe the problem is that i have the RamAir filter and i have washed two times in 3000Km, and i didn't put oil again in the foam?
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

On the pictures of the cylinder head is the gasket still in place? The markings on the left... are they on the gasket or the actual cylinder head. Looks like it been touching the piston and some signs of damage there. My mate's Mugello barrel has done about 40,000 miles, but he runs it through the airbox. Lots of people run open mouthed carbs, so I don't think the filter would be the problem, unless you live near the seaside.
ArKaTxU
Dealer

Hi Martin.
Yes, the gasket is still in the head on the pictures.
In the left there are a brown mark, but i dont see now in the picture if is a damage gasket. Tomorrow i will see if the gasket is damaged.
Last edited by ArKaTxU on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Hi Arkaitz, there definitely looks like damage to the head or gasket in picture 16, it could have caused some tiny fragments of alloy to find their way into the barrel.

The correct gasket to use would be the one that gives you the correct squish, in the region of 1.2 to 1.5. that's squish measurement not gasket thickness.
ArKaTxU
Dealer

corrado wrote:Hi Arkaitz, there definitely looks like damage to the head or gasket in picture 16, it could have caused some tiny fragments of alloy to find their way into the barrel.

The correct gasket to use would be the one that gives you the correct squish, in the region of 1.2 to 1.5. that's squish measurement not gasket thickness.
OK, tomorrow i will see the gasket and the head, and i will do a near pictures.
I will use solder like Sticky say in his book to see the squish.
Thanks!.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Arkaitz, your plug looks very rich. How was the engine running, and what jets and needle setting to you have? Paul
ArKaTxU
Dealer

storkfoot wrote:Arkaitz, your plug looks very rich. How was the engine running, and what jets and needle setting to you have? Paul
Yes, i know, i had to change to a little main jet, but now i want to change to a ScootRS/Sterling from Casa Clubman, and i want to check with this exhaust the spark plug. I dont remember now my carb configuration.
Apparently the gasket is ok, but i see, that i have put the gasket not with the correct position. You can see in the last picture that the gasket must go in this position, but if you see the gasket, there are marks that the gasket go in the other side.

(sorry for my english :| )
Last edited by ArKaTxU on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

The gasket is the same fit whether you flip it over or not, surely :? Oiling your RamAir____as has been said, this won't be your problem. All you need to do with this is wash it in petrol with a dash of 2 stroke. Being a more dusty climate than the UK, you probably need to do this more of then than us though :)

What caused you to strip the top end? Was the engine running badly? Was it boggy ie, dying when put under load?

Personally, but I'd get a few more opinions too, I'd clean it up, and put it back together with the correct squish. That's if it was running OK before you stripped the top end? A new gasket, if you need one to get the correct squish, wouldn't go amiss.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information