disappointing DC conversion...

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

you,d be better off painting your scoot flourescent green/yellow and wearing a police type jacket and sticking a flashing light on top of your helmet then... :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

soulsurfer wrote:On my system I can just unplug from the battery and use regulated DC straight from the reg/rect
soulsurfer wrote:Even without a battery in the circuit, the standard lighting is brighter than the AC alternative.
then how is yours wired differently to my diagram above ?
and using what rectifier unit ? the Triumph one from ebay ? or a Podtronics ?
cos without the battery the voltage at the fuse is between 2-3v DC.
I haven't tried the lights running straight from this, but it seems a little low...

firekdp wrote:If the stator has been isolated from earth and the yellows connected to the podtronics, then taking a tapping off one of the yellows would result in the AC side only receiving half wave.
but would this matter if all I wanted this for was to provide power for the standard lights ? or is it that the battery will not be receiving as much charge as it would...? which again, wouldn't necessarily matter if the battery is not critcal to have any lights at all ?

firekdp wrote:I don't know much about alarm batteries but if they're lead/acid and the acid inside is free to move around then it must be kept upright or the plates will partially be uncovered and damage will result.
I did wonder that, but i think they're almost, if not completely, full, so no room for uncovering of plates... ?? there is no evidence of sloshing liquid when handlling them.

firekdp wrote:Have you measured the rectifier output without it connected to the battery?
between 2-3 v DC depending upon revs, which I thought was ok....

and yes, it can be a bit dark here in naarfuk
sean brady scooters
Dealer

coaster wrote:
sean brady scooters wrote:struth chaps
all you need to do is eat more carrots........... :D

either that or get your eyes tested... :D
what is this fascination about extra lights all about....do you all only ride around in the darkest of nights mostly....? :lol:
You should try living in Norfolk..........street lightsd havn't reached here yet :roll:
you should try living in yorkshire........we still have candle lit outside toilets... :D
byron

coaster wrote: I've braved the elements now in the interests of science.....
thanks Colin, appreciate that. Your readings seem to match mine [albeit on an old Smiths analogue ammeter, i'd like to check them digitally to confirm that the system isn't what i was hoping for...]
firekdp

byron wrote:
firekdp wrote:If the stator has been isolated from earth and the yellows connected to the podtronics, then taking a tapping off one of the yellows would result in the AC side only receiving half wave.
but would this matter if all I wanted this for was to provide power for the standard lights ? or is it that the battery will not be receiving as much charge as it would...? which again, wouldn't necessarily matter if the battery is not critcal to have any lights at all ?
If your AC lights were half wave they will only be running at half power.
byron wrote:
firekdp wrote:Have you measured the rectifier output without it connected to the battery?
Do you mean 12-13v.
soulsurfer

byron wrote:
soulsurfer wrote:On my system I can just unplug from the battery and use regulated DC straight from the reg/rect
soulsurfer wrote:Even without a battery in the circuit, the standard lighting is brighter than the AC alternative.
then how is yours wired differently to my diagram above ?
and using what rectifier unit ? the Triumph one from ebay ? or a Podtronics ?
cos without the battery the voltage at the fuse is between 2-3v DC.
I haven't tried the lights running straight from this, but it seems a little low...
I'll try do draw a diagram. What software does everyone use to draw wiring diagrams?

I use a PODtronics and a Wassel (ebay) unit on both my scoots, they are the same, they are both producing 13-14 volts.

You do have a single phase regulator, don't you?

Did Monty's posts about the cap not help?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
sean brady scooters
Dealer

I,m no electrical expert by any means but surely ,all this extra electrical power you are all hoping and expecting for, produced by a small 60,s designed scooter is just not really going to happen is it...?
and if it was some how possible you would end up with a 250cc that produced less power than say a 175...... :D
simply cos a big part of its power would be sapped to go to producing electrical power
byron

firekdp wrote:
byron wrote:
Do you mean 12-13v.
no... I imagined that it just trickle charged the battery... getting that much there would be nice, and would explain soulsurfer's ability to run without the battery at all...
So what could be wrong ?
i am using one of these : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BSA-NORTON-TRIUMP ... 4a9c7cad0a
byron

soulsurfer wrote:I'll try do draw a diagram. What software does everyone use to draw wiring diagrams?
I just used MS Paint on that one :lol:
soulsurfer wrote:You do have a single phase regulator, don't you?
yep
soulsurfer wrote:Did Monty's posts about the cap not help?
been out most of day, will reread that later, thanks
firekdp

Measure the voltage across the 2 yellows disconnected from the reg/rec and then measure whilst connected to it. The cap on monty's system is masking a problem on his set-up in the same way that the battery is on yours.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information