The end of the Lambretta crank as we know it ???

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Avantone wrote:...... I spent the majority of the race tucked up close behind Keith Terry desperately trying not to lose touch down the straight and discovered some much quicker lines through the infield (off the obvious, but slippery-when-wet racing lines)......
Perhaps you can point them out to me next time i race 3 sisters......my leg would be very pleased! :D
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

tony wrote:Well hi Dave. Things move on. Come and watch..A group 4 machine shouldnt be winning outright should it in the 'traditional' way of thinking? Smallframe vespas setting outright scooter lap records on the full cadwell circuit on its second outing? Tuned by the same man.
I wouldnt dispute the figures. They are correct. :)
It wasn't until Ralph Saxelby took his hook!

Btw Mr S said he was beating them all with aprox 25 bhp and loadsa torque. Given how low revving that bike is it's probably true.
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

Muttley McLadd wrote:
Special X wrote:Wow!!! DJ on here. Anyone who knows me will be aware that He's my hero!
Let the ass kissing commence.

I'm going to laugh when it's exposed as a wind up. :D

Will the real Dawn Milen please stand up?
Mmmmmmm . . . I could have understood that had I not been saying the same thing for years, when DJ definitely wouldn't have seen it. There's way more in his book than meets the eye on a quick skim through, and my yellow and white LI special wasn't quick because I have any special talent for tuning, it was all out of that book.
DJ200

tony wrote:Now I've a great one.. and I Know Dave will probably shoot me.. thats if he remembers who I am.. but Pembrey around 1989(?) (i'm sure it was pembrey) and basically soemthing happens on the start and Mr Webster here, lies on the track almost DEAD! Anyway even if he gets up he has no chance of catching up so the unconcious dave uses his head and lies still.. the race is of course stopped and miraculously Mr Webbo recovers to go off and win (i think!)
:twisted: now thats a race brain..
WOW! Well........ and yes that really is TRUE. I'd totally forgotten. I'm just racking my brain to try and remember the why's and the wherefors, but yes, that really did happen! It wasn't at all "planned" but I (ahem) shall we say "loitered" on the track at the start (I really can't remember why, maybe I'll have to dig out the race results to jog my memory!). Anyway, something happened, and I was suddenly "recovered"..... and whoopee dooooo! They restarted the race! Kinda makes up for one Donnington Park "loop" event a couple of seasons before. Grp2 & Grp3 combined arrived on the line, it was an EMSA event, and they had a new girl as start marshal. She had no idea at all. Not the least!. Not even a glimpse of an idea! Now, on the very few occasions when I started a race, I'd stand full in the middle of the track, and raise the flag high, holding the bottom with my spare hand. Then I'd GLARE! Yes GLARE!!!! Grrrrr! Grrrrrrrrr! At those poxy bast**rd riders who would suffer a fate much worse than a slow agonising painful death if they so much as THOUGHT about a jump start in MY race. I'd walk off the track, turn, and then SUDDENLY drop that flag. No if's and buts, GONE! A succesful start. But not this poor little girlie at Donnington. She was too embarrased and thought it was a great giggle. With a slight flicker of a flourish, she SORT of MAYBE waved it a bit, maybe sort of twitched her arm, like a little spasm? Or a mini twitch. Some went. Some didn't. Steve Ives stopped just up the track, wondering what the hell was going on. Terry Frankland, looking behind to SEE what the hell was WAS going on, then ran in the back of him and went flying. I sat there. What a shambles. I switched off the motor, and just sat there. Waiting for the restart. The must happen restart that quite OBVIOUSLY was going to happen. Then an official walked out saying " If you can't start your scooter can you please get it off the track please?" There was slowly a realisation dawning. Maybe like a Baldrick type slow burning Really Cunning Plan. The sort of realisation, that to have an argument in the middle of the track about whether the race had actually started...... or not, while the rest of the race now seemed to be taking place, maybe wasn't such a good idea....... I don't think I QUITE won that race!

Hey! Is one of you gonna sort this out? We need a NEW header....
The 4 R'rrrrs "Retired Racers Remember Races"
Then maybe we can ALL come up with some memories, and not just me!

Dj "The older I seem to be the faster I remember going" Webbo
sean brady scooters
Dealer

consider it done ............the 4 rrrr,s.........coming up............post away folks......... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

Special X wrote:
tony wrote:Well hi Dave. Things move on. Come and watch..A group 4 machine shouldnt be winning outright should it in the 'traditional' way of thinking? Smallframe vespas setting outright scooter lap records on the full cadwell circuit on its second outing? Tuned by the same man.
I wouldnt dispute the figures. They are correct. :)
It wasn't until Ralph Saxelby took his hook!

Btw Mr S said he was beating them all with aprox 25 bhp and loadsa torque. Given how low revving that bike is it's probably true.
Not actually true special X. Check the results mate.

Ralph last raced at Donny.. race 1 he won, race 2 ,Charlie won. And thats not because Ralph crashed on last lap as the red flag was out and it was counted back a lap as per rules. Ralph second.

Going back to 2007 as Ralph hadnt been out since.. he won both races at Oulton with Charlie second.

They next raced at Anglesey to which Charlie won 2 out of 3 races as he didnt finish the other race Ralph won. http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/ ... esults.pdf and http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/ ... esults.pdf and http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/ ... esults.pdf
And thats the last time he was out. In my mind (and Dave will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure ) a watercooled reed valved ,cut down, lightweight group 6 bike should be miles ahead of a grp 4, full bodied, piston ported , air cooled Lambretta running an inboard disc. The fact that Edmonds is anywhere near is amazing, but to win outright is a remarkable achievement.
Last edited by tony on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
Muttley McLadd

tony wrote: The fact that Edmonds is anywhere near is amazing, but to win outright is a remarkable achievement.
The fact that Ralph is old enough to be Charlie's dad, only rides now and then, and is on a bike built over fifteen years ago is nothing to do with it then?

I'd expect half the pack to be ahead of Ralph, considering they're all half his age on newly built machines.
CakeAndArseParty
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

I thought we were talking about tuning and not rider abilty or the rider/machine as a package? I'm not talking about Ralph as a rider or his ability alone..Also ,I'm not knocking Ralph.. far from it. I've known him for 24 years and he's a top bloke. I'm putting into perspective what is going on on the track. If we want to to talk about rider abilty then I would of said "Charlie is in his 4th full year of racing and Ralph has 24 years or so more experience than him, he is 6 foot 7 and weighs a hell of a lot more therefore than Ralph"-BUT I'M NOT KNOCKING RALPH-his riding is top notch and his machine is immaculate>> Just dont get blinkered to what is going on.The results are there..black and white.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
Rude De
Main scooter: 69 Gp 200 65 Tv 200

Special X wrote:
Muttley McLadd wrote:
Special X wrote:Wow!!! DJ on here. Anyone who knows me will be aware that He's my hero!
Let the ass kissing commence.

I'm going to laugh when it's exposed as a wind up. :D

Will the real Dawn Milen please stand up?
Mmmmmmm . . . I could have understood that had I not been saying the same thing for years, when DJ definitely wouldn't have seen it. There's way more in his book than meets the eye on a quick skim through, and my yellow and white LI special wasn't quick because I have any special talent for tuning, it was all out of that book.
My wife would get so mad at me, when I would click on the nightstand lamp in the middle of the night, to review a passage in the tuning manual. It was like the book of Revelation in the missing lambretta bible. For my generation we are most defiantly indebted to your kindness for sharing you insight on what you have encountered and tried to explain. And the price of the book was an act of charity. So thanks for enriching our minds with the possibilities. You now have an army of mad mad men. At your disposal
Derrick Valles
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

Muttley McLadd wrote:
tony wrote: The fact that Edmonds is anywhere near is amazing, but to win outright is a remarkable achievement.
The fact that Ralph is old enough to be Charlie's dad, only rides now and then, and is on a bike built over fifteen years ago is nothing to do with it then?

I'd expect half the pack to be ahead of Ralph, considering they're all half his age on newly built machines.

have you actually been to a race meeting recently?

Riders are all half Ralphs age? ermmmmm I don't think so?

Ralphs bike built 15 yearsago.... ermmmmmm don't think so!

The bike may have ORIGINATED 15 years ago, but has had continual development and additional work since.
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information