Winter Model Rusteration Challenge!

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Supereibar

Do you realize what you are RUSToring? I am the proud finder of that scoot.. I nearly choked when I heard that Ian was letting that one "go" off his shed... I brought that scooter to England myself on August 2008 for him. That scooter you have there is the most rare Winter model I have ever seen and probably the rarest winter model in the world. Found like that in a northern town of Barcelona, that scooter is registered in 1976. As you might know the winter model production ran only for one year, end of 1963 until beguining of 1965... Frame numbers on Winter models ran from 150LI*040001 upwards... That scooter has a frame of 150Li*06XXXX.. am I correct?

I have traced the one and only owner of that scooter and the result was a dealership. My conclusions are that the owner of that dealership, wanted a winter model. He called the eibar factory and had one made to order. Prove of it are the brand spanking new EL TIGRE seats that it has on as saddle seats where ONLY made to request. Spanish Li scoots came always with bench seat as a default... Total oddball blanking plate (which was damaged) and the hub with the oil plug in instead of the speedo drive.

Please enjoy it, the one you are Rustoring is one of the nicest rides out there mate.

Jaime
robbbee
Main scooter: Spanish Li 150 Winter Model

Hi there Jaimie,

Please don't worry, that beautiful scooter is being well looked after. Ian is overseeing everything! I am simply doing as requested, and learning loads!
Ian is a good friend, and has infected me with his enthusiasm for all things Lambretta. He has even got my boys into it! He let me take them out for a spin on his Winter Model, and now they can't wait for me to get one!

I will post more pictures as we get on with it. The going is a bit slow, as I have to try and fit it around work, and it is a few miles away at Ian's workshop.

Robbie
YAMLAM

bit of a numpty question really but why do they call them Winter models. :?:
win or lose have a booze
soullad
Dealer

YAMLAM wrote:bit of a numpty question really but why do they call them Winter models. :?:
Some people mistakingly call all Eibar S2's wintermodels but its only the last of these made that were called wintermodels.......presumably as these were built over the winter months of 63-64 but also as a marketing ploy by the factory to help shift the S2... (when the S3 was already being rolled out across Europe), this would also probably explain the S3 features of Special-ish headset. They were also issued a new series of frame numbers, starting 04****. In doing this the factory actually created a unique styled S2, the best of any in my opinion.
These are not to be confused with the rallymaster or similar importers / dealer specials.
fajes

that is one brilliant scoot!! take good care of it!
wine for my men, we ride at dawn!
lee b

wish i still had mine!!! urrrrgghhhh!
saw one at burton the other day..........nuff said!
robbbee

Have had quite an evening, breathing in some dodgy fumes in the workshop!! The best thing I have seen in ages are the seats!! Once we stripped off the foam, which was properly stuck on, we cleaned the leather carefully and it has come up a treat. The seats had been covered with what looked like a synthetic leather with a foam backing, so once the nasty foam was cleaned away, the seats looked like they had never been used. I have rubbed them down with loads of Auto Glym Leather Cream, so hopefully they will become a little more supple.

Various bits have been stripped off and, in one case, beaten gently (!!) until they were straight, and are ready to be shot blasted and powder coated. The rear hub is proving to be a bugger to get off though!

The rest will be tackled later, as I had to go home for supper! Will post photos soon.
robbbee

As promised, a few more pictures...

Compare and contrast! Air boxes from winter model and series 2.

E added this, and I think that it looks great!

These El Tigre seats have since come up great, and are gonna look awesome!

robbbee

Right! A sunday afternoon spent starting to put things back together, instead of taking stuff apart!

Loads of bits back from the powder coaters, which look bloody great, so we started putting things back where they should be. The number plate holder went on first, followed by the rear mudguard. next was the spare wheel carrier, with an original disc to sit in side the spare. Then, the rear seat and the tank. Stainless straps proved to be sharp enough to shave with, and left a good deal of my thumb on one of them! The air box went in after that, with new gasket under the scoop, then the front seat, which was the really fiddly bit. All the bits have been bolted into place with stainless cap heads where ever posssible, because they look the nuts! and the powder coat colour is RAL 9018 PAPYRUS WHITE, for those that need to know. After that, the engine was taken to bits, and today I have taken it to work, and steam cleaned it. It has taken all of the nasty 40 year old oil and s**t off, and left it nice and clean. And for those who REALLY pay attention, you will have noticed that E cleaned up the frame rather nicely, before we started puttting all this back together.

More to be posted soon, and thanks to E for taking the pics on his flash phone, 'cos I forgot the camera! Beer followed this little session, and I had a real fat head this morning!! :baddevil: :baddevil:

Ian Hepworth

Coming on nicely. I think that papyrus white is a match for the colour I found under the seat catch on my winter model.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information