kehper variable ignition

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Pepot
Main scooter: servetta LI150 serieIII GT186

Mine is been working fine after one year of use. Would buy another one.
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

I know, and can see the real benefits of an electrical ignition retard unit. I still find it hard to try to come to terms with the idea / consequences of an electrical malfunction that if I'm running my engine at 8500 rpm suddenly reverts the timing to, say, 21/2 degrees. I need it as a fixed setting at 16 degrees and advances to 22 at 1500rpm. You need failure setting to be 16, not 21/2.
Way Too many modern electrical components built at/to minimal price resulting in too many electrical component failures.
Without lovely wizardry, tell me a brand of stator plate, flywheel or BOG STANDARD CDI (ala old school black Ducati) as a combination that will give me, and my customers, 100% reliability, ignition-wise? (I'm advised the best brand on the market is running at 5% failure rate :o )
When thats accomplished, we'll look at 100% reliable, and safe default, gadgets.
I would prefer that our available components were 25% higher priced in component manufacture and didn't fail than did a fancy job if/ when they worked and didn't f*ck my engine if it broke down.
It doesn't tend to be the £400 kit or the £250 crank or the £300 clutch, it's the £5 plug, £20 CDI, £2 HT lead that lets us all down.
eden
Dealer

Ill defiantly buy another kheper as Ive done many 1000's of miles on mine and both have not let me down in terms of retardation.
coaster

When my Augusto failed after several thousand miles it just failed completely, no spark at all. 30 second to swap the wires round to by-pass it and I was able to limp home at 30 mph 8-)
Train Driver

B-Race Tuning wrote:I know, and can see the real benefits of an electrical ignition retard unit. I still find it hard to try to come to terms with the idea / consequences of an electrical malfunction that if I'm running my engine at 8500 rpm suddenly reverts the timing to, say, 21/2 degrees. I need it as a fixed setting at 16 degrees and advances to 22 at 1500rpm. You need failure setting to be 16, not 21/2.
Way Too many modern electrical components built at/to minimal price resulting in too many electrical component failures.
Without lovely wizardry, tell me a brand of stator plate, flywheel or BOG STANDARD CDI (ala old school black Ducati) as a combination that will give me, and my customers, 100% reliability, ignition-wise? (I'm advised the best brand on the market is running at 5% failure rate :o )
When thats accomplished, we'll look at 100% reliable, and safe default, gadgets.
I would prefer that our available components were 25% higher priced in component manufacture and didn't fail than did a fancy job if/ when they worked and didn't f*ck my engine if it broke down.
It doesn't tend to be the £400 kit or the £250 crank or the £300 clutch, it's the £5 plug, £20 CDI, £2 HT lead that lets us all down.
I Totally Agree
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
vegansydney

B-Race Tuning wrote:Way Too many modern electrical components built at/to minimal price resulting in too many electrical component failures.
Kheper is made and designed in France. I believe Olivier has a day job and is making these on the side---not exactly a mass-produced corporate enterprise, outsourced to the cheapest LMIC.
Kheper website wrote:Unlike many scooter part manufacturers today, ready to trade quality for profit, we carefully design our product with the best and most durable components available (coils, capacitors...).
Eden wrote:Ill defiantly buy another kheper...
Agree! Never had a problem with mine. I'm waiting for them to be back in stock so I can be 'defiant' too. :D
eden
Dealer

One problem I have had with both the khepers I have is the bracket breaking.

rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

That rubber mounted or bolted to the leg?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information