how to check if its been writen off

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Engine casings don't matter, replacement engines are common place.

The identity of the vehicle is intrinsically associated with the frame, transferring the frame number from one frame to another, regardless of whether it's a TV, SX or Li o r a Honda c90 is ringing, period.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
ArmandTanzarian

Its a tricky one. A mate of mine used to own a car bodyshop many years ago. For some repairs it was a lot cheaper to buy a new body shell direct from Ford than repair the old one. He consulted the police, the DVLA, insurers and a lawyer and couldn't get a definitive answer from any of them.

Its also quite common in the classic car world to buy a new body shell and rebuild the car using that. The fact that the business has existed for decades would suggest that its not as simple as new frame equals new bike (or car in their case)

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/index.html
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Tosh

thanks to all for the replies,just an update there was 3 cars involved all ran up the back of each other then my son came along and ran up the back of the last car.am I better speaking to the dvla and asking if the number plate/frame would be able to put it on a new frame
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

rosscla wrote:Engine casings don't matter, replacement engines are common place.

The identity of the vehicle is intrinsically associated with the frame, transferring the frame number from one frame to another, regardless of whether it's a TV, SX or Li o r a Honda c90 is ringing, period.
"Ringing" is only to do with using stolen vehicle details or a stolen vehicle and transfering vin plate or chassis numbers to another vehicle or vise versa,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2014 ... legal-cars.
it has nothing to do with reframing/reshelling a usually beyond repair vehicle with a new or unregistered frame or shell , it is totally legal to do this , i know because ive done it many times in the past when i use to restore classic cars. new classic car body shells are still produced eg mini, triumph, morris minor , vw beetle, alpha and on and on and scooter restorations still sell now and again new lambretta gp frames.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

This would seem to cover the problem https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... t-vehicles
Donnie.
rosscla

fairspares wrote:
rosscla wrote:Engine casings don't matter, replacement engines are common place.

"Ringing" is only to do with using stolen vehicle details or a stolen vehicle and transfering vin plate or chassis numbers to another vehicle or vise versa,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2014 ... legal-cars.
it has nothing to do with reframing/reshelling a usually beyond repair vehicle with a new or unregistered frame or shell , it is totally legal to do this , i know because ive done it many times in the past when i use to restore classic cars. new classic car body shells are still produced eg mini, triumph, morris minor , vw beetle, alpha and on and on and scooter restorations still sell now and again new lambretta gp frames.
I disagree, in my book ringing is simply making something appear other than what it is, be that trying to conceal a stolen or written off bike or re stamping to make it look like a more valuable model. It's to do with the intention to deceive by changing the vehicle's identity.

Reshelling or reframing done above board is all fine and well, provided the replacement is new. Just sticking the number plate on a second hand frame is not.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Tosh wrote:son was in a accident scooter bent back so the bars touched the seat which creased the frame at the brake peddle area,bobbys sorted a brake down company to take it away before I could do out as I went to hospital with my son.I have now bought it back from the brake down company which was three days after the accident,i told the police man that it would prob be written off ,I have never been contacted with insurance company for them to view,so were or how do I check to see if the number plates or log book are still ok to use if I buy a new frame. OH the accident happened about 2yrs ago. Thanks Paul
Whilst everyone squabbles about definitions of this n that. The simple answers to your question are as follows:

If you never claimed on your insurance, then it's not a 'write off'....as that is an insurance based term when they pay out in the event of an accident, where the cost of repairs are uneconomical vs the value of the vehicle.

If you are still unsure, pay a couple of quid for an online hpi check of the vehicles history, anything odd will flag up.

And as for the new frame.....it is perfectly legal to buy a new/unused/unstamped frame and build up the bike again using the old components/reg number/v5. You cannot however use a second hand/used/stamped frame.

On the topic of new frames....the saddest part of current legislation is that if some geezers 1969 Italian GP was written off, it would be perfectly legal for him to re-frame it with a brand new/unstamped Indian GP frame......and that is NOT classed as ringing! So despite people's 'feelings' on that being outrageous etc......remember that thoughts/opinions/feelings etc are not fact. Don't confuse the two.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
rosscla

At the risk of setting this off in a new direction would that still be a 69 GP?
DigDug

Yes by definition by virtue of the amount of original parts used.

However, proving provenance on parts could be tricky.....
Did you have to do that?
rosscla

Hmm.. You'd have to think that anyt impact that caused terminal frame damage then you'd not be reusing the forks, mudguard, or leg shields either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information