Cyclone 5

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mickjr

wrong sort of steel(case hardening) you could get away with en351 yellow/green
Boo

Mickjr,

So what Steel are they using in the cyclone boxes?
Lambrettas are for life!
mickjr

any old s**t they could get off Steptoe to threw in the vat,there done on the cheap and asking top buck,old 4 speed are a lot better,or like iv said
all ask broady who made them from sae 8620 the right steel to re make them
sydduckett

I have a 5 speed box in an RB and I give it loads. I rate the box as the best after market product Iv brought to date. I admit it's an expensive bit of kit but the change it makes to the ride is night and day.

My personal opinion is that some that have failed haven't been set up correctly. If you don't get enough of the gear face touching the corresponding gear your asking for trouble. It's not easy to do this and involves a lot of Ball ache to maximise the amount of surface area, shimming and re shimming but worth it.

I'm looking for any Cyclone loose gears if anyone has a broken box as I'm building a 2nd one for my series two.

Ta
Sef
sydduckett

mickjr wrote:any old s**t they could get off Steptoe to threw in the vat,there done on the cheap and asking top buck,old 4 speed are a lot better,or like iv said
all ask broady who made them from sae 8620 the right steel to re make them
He wanted £1500 for them a while back didn't he?
mickjr

yes because he only made 2 sets,and now he knows the set up and input and program,plus cheaper for a longer run.
everyone needs to badger him
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I've had one for just under 2 years and never really felt I was getting the best out of the 5th gear whilst the others gears were much better than a standard box. 5th to me was a bit like an overdrive gear but still fun and much more enjoyable ride. Dropping from 5th down to 4th and being able to shoot up hills is brilliant. Limited experience but I think they are more suited to a reasonably tuned engine. If you ride in a mixed group to the next town and back then there's no point. It's added to my riding experience and I was lucky to have Mr Owen fit mine using his original first batch cluster so not experienced any problems with the gears. I would definetly buy one again...... 8-)
ducksta

do you actually need one is the first question :?:
live life your a long time dead
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

Probably more a relevant statement/question than it seems.
I would suggest that lads doing loads of miles on motorways would question why they've spent the money on a box that is mainly used in 5th. Likewise the scooters that hardly venture out of town may wonder why they've paid money for a 5th gear they very rarely use.

For the money involved you would have to do the miles to justify buying and fitting it......

I see the "auto" box as the future.
Last edited by Morgan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

The first question you ask yourself is can you afford it ? And in my case No ! !

5 speed boxes are nothing new though, it's all been done before. It's the latest expensive fad. There will be another one along shortly :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information