timing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I've got some quality xenon timing lights I use on my vws, but couldn't get a steady reading with any of these, so tried the old inline one and it gave the most consistant reading.
I set it statically to the marks, then rev it up with the light connected, and make sure it doesn't advance more than I want at higher revs. You need to check where it gets to at max revs really. It does move a degree or so when revved, pleased to hear that others get this too.
coaster

I also set mine up by positive stop and then checked with strobe. It was spot on 18 degrees whci is what I'd intended. I used a Gunsons strobe with a clamp that goes round the HT lead. This type can be used in daylight but needs to be connected to a 12 volt battery. I just parked the scoot next to the car and used some jump leads.

I don't remember the timing moving in relation to revs, but there was lag if the throttle was blipped but it settled back to 18 degrees almost immediately (standard ebay indian electronic)
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

joespeed wrote:paul , does chalky use a timing light?
If you are presumably talking about running with the Agusto, then yes a strobe is needed to be spot on!

If you are talking fixed timing i.e standard electronic ignition, then you don't have to use a strobe!
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
J1MS

The timing marks move when the engine is revved as there is a small amount of advance on the std electronic ( Ducati and SIL systems ) this makes the timing retard slightly as the engine is revved higher, but usually no more than three degrees, this is perfectly normal....
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

J1MS wrote:The timing marks move when the engine is revved as there is a small amount of advance on the std electronic ( Ducati and SIL systems )....
How does that work then JIMS :?:
sean brady scooters
Dealer

its true...............
as revs rise...........it causes a slight delay in transfer of signal from pick up to the actual spark at plug
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

Or simply is it not a 'delay' but an effective delay? The signal travels at a constant speed I would guess but due to the higher revving engine effectively its retarding as the engine has rotated further before the next spark happens.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Interesting, automatic retardation due to the period it takes to trigger and then produce the spark being costant versus an decreasing cycle time as the revs increase :idea:

I suppose the electronic ignition system was designed for reletively low speed use so wasn't optimised for the sort of revs that a tuned engine sees?

This is probably something which could be seen on a dyno output, if you could grab the trigger v revs data? I'd like to see a graph of the variation of timing (in degrees or time) against revs, anyone done it? 8-)

Cheers,

Nigel
J1MS

sideout wrote:Interesting, automatic retardation due to the period it takes to trigger and then produce the spark being costant versus an decreasing cycle time as the revs increase :idea:

I suppose the electronic ignition system was designed for reletively low speed use so wasn't optimised for the sort of revs that a tuned engine sees?

This is probably something which could be seen on a dyno output, if you could grab the trigger v revs data? I'd like to see a graph of the variation of timing (in degrees or time) against revs, anyone done it? 8-)

Cheers,

Nigel

Once a few years ago now, When playing around with an Electronic with a 12 volt conversion I used a dual channel Oscilloscope this had two displays on the one screen, and by using two attenuators (one on each circuit) it seemed to show up a time shift when you overlayed the Ignition relative to the pickup pulse, it seems to me to be the time it takes to trigger the Thyristor and then discharge the capacitor in the CDI unit to fire the coil....which causes the Ignition retarding at revs....If this is a fixed time, then as you say as the revs rise it will take longer relative to the decreasing cycle time....
sean brady scooters
Dealer

:D ;)
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information