The barn find of a lifetime

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
coaster

twin wrote:Hi frank
its only the last 2 letters that tell u where it was first reg,
and XD is ipswich,
Dave,
Sorry Dave but I think you'll find that DX was Ipswich. I re-Googled XD and 2 other sites list XD as London but do not list Luton as a registration office. I don't know if that means that Luton is included in the London catchment area (must be 30 miles north of London) or if it was an error on the site I gave the link to, Luton-London? :?
red devil

Thanks for clearing that up guys, at least it's one question answered!
I've still not heard anything from the DVLA, but hopefully will next week. When I do I'll return to this thread and let you know what they have to say.
twin

coaster wrote:
twin wrote:Hi frank
its only the last 2 letters that tell u where it was first reg,
and XD is ipswich,
Dave,
Sorry Dave but I think you'll find that DX was Ipswich. I re-Googled XD and 2 other sites list XD as London but do not list Luton as a registration office. I don't know if that means that Luton is included in the London catchment area (must be 30 miles north of London) or if it was an error on the site I gave the link to, Luton-London? :?
sorry about that u r right , its an age thing,
RICSPEED

who owns it then???
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
afandy

...Well XD was definateley Luton as i have a Lambretta JXD 12k that i have owned since 1973 and its from Luton...Also owned a brand new GP125 1971 from new JXD 7K....
red devil

Following my last post on this subject, at long last I've had a reply from the DVLA. Unfortunately they have'nt answered any of my questions but at least gave me a reason for not answering them.
It appears that when the DVLA was set up in the early 70's they did not record any information on vehicle registrations from the local tax offices but relied on vehicle owners sending the old style log books to them so that the information on the log book could be downloaded onto the cetralised computer. As the old A model had been off the road for many years at this point the current owner never sent the log book to the DVLA consequently they have no record of it.
They allso babbled on about the data protection act, however this could have been overcome if they had a record of the scooter.
So, after all that I'm still at a deadend! I still believe the date of first registration of the 10th of August 1949 relates to the UK, but I can't prove it at the moment. I could do with some help from a historic vehicle expert!
coaster

red devil wrote: I could do with some help from a historic vehicle expert!
You could try Dave Weeks, he posts on here sometimes.
red devil

Thanks coaster, I am keen to contact anyone who may be able to help.
Any idea what user name he uses?
red devil

I believe Mau has now sent the offers he recieved to the owner.
The model A could soon be heading off for a new life with someone who will enjoy restoring and owning it. I hope we see it running.
JoeP
Main scooter: Peugeot S57c 1958

So long as they just give it a bit of a spruce up and don't do a full on resto.
Enough of this modern italian crap ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information