stage 4 or classic rapido

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Tosh

Brothers scoot has just locked up,its a stage 4 now he`s wondering if he should get a new stage 4 top end or a classic rapido 200 or i suppose he could get it rebored to 225, anybody had one of the classics and what do you think :?:
Muttley McLadd

How badly damaged is it?
CakeAndArseParty
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Just get a decent 66.4 piston, rebore and hone.
Tosh

thanks for replys, would i need to get the head done as well
poose

I got sick of my stage 4 keep seizing or holing pistons so got a Classic Rapido put on and found it to be much better performance and more reliable, you can get a 225 version of the classic as well. Running my 200 with a 30mm dellorto and reverse cone clubman its got plenty of grunt and good acceleration.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

a seizing barrel and holed pistons are usually down to either air/fuel mixture , timing or incorrect clearance of piston/barrel , there is nothing wrong with the stage 4 indian barrels , the rapido has an outer alu jacket so will have much better cooling than a all iron barrel , but both will seize if not set up properly. you will need head machining if going to a 225.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
poose

My jetting was spot on when it seized its just that I like riding full throttle all the time and they wont take it but the Rapido does, better cooling.
Tosh

not checked to see how bad its is at mo will see him at weekend,if i knew how to put a photo on the web page i`d show you all :(
Jazzy

Tosh wrote:not checked to see how bad its is at mo will see him at weekend,if i knew how to put a photo on the web page i`d show you all :(
are you sure its the top end.
is the engine a indian one with sil crank?
if it is my moneys on the crank
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

I run a stage 4 (genuine) and been 100% reliable. Things sieze for a reason,not because its iron. I can run it flatout with confidence.Better off sorting it out rather than just buying a new topend.A proper stage 4 should shite all over a Rapido classic and still pull very well and rev.One thing to check on Indian barrels is the bore clearence,apparantly they can be all over the place.Two of the best motors ive ever had have been iron and cheap to put right if all does go wrong.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information