NEW INDIAN 200cc ENGINES - experiences

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

I`ve just stripped my mate`s seized Resurrection GP and the big end was totally fecked. Chain was hanging out of it and the gearbox is as baggy as feck too. Total rebuild under way.

Forgot to say....well under 1000 miles on the engine :evil:
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
shocky

Bofs wrote:I`ve just stripped my mate`s seized Resurrection GP and the big end was totally fecked. Chain was hanging out of it and the gearbox is as baggy as feck too. Total rebuild under way.

Forgot to say....well under 1000 miles on the engine :evil:
thats like the 2 i did ,im working on 2 at the moment i thought id check the sqish this one is solder wrapped around several time to get somewere near thich enough as i only had 1mm solder left ok not that good a test but up to 3.36 mm so far and still not marking Image
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

I've fitted a 60mm crank and needed a 0.5mm gasket to get 1.4mm squish!
Bufficus

I've just pulled one apart to fit a TS1 for a mate.

The usual 3mm squish.
Chain as slack as a whore's drawers
Clutch centre nut was finger tight. :shock: Good job the tab washer was bent over.
Only one of the brake shoes was making contact with the hub.

Most of it's going in the bin or on ebay. ;)
donlambretto

I've had 2 new indian engines so far.
-1st one, came fitted in one of the last new GPs, dated 1997. Thanks to 206 supercup's advice, one year ago I took it apart by myself to change bearings. It was 2500 miles old but did not sound smooth on tickover, as if there was kind dodgy bearing.
Chain was a bit slack but gearbox shimming was spot-on. Main bearings were Ok, all were SKF (drive side) or NRB India (mag flange). BUT... endplate bearing (SKF) was almost seized, blackened and did not turn well. No bearings were C3 specification.
Rebuilt it with FAG-SKF new bearings throughout (all C3 spec) bought from a local supplier (only left original rear hub bearing as turned smooth with no play), nylon chain guide, and a machining company did the crank bearing swap for silver caged ones. 300 miles later it purrs like a kitten.

-2nd one, received one month ago and new, 0 miles, to be fitted into a project scoot. I decided to take it apart before fitting. Bearings were all SKF, and seemed to be of very much better quality than the ones fitted in my GP engine. It was not easy for me as I was dumping new parts and good quality (especially main bearing ones). Cluster and layshaft bearings were also changed. Gearbox shimming was OK. Chain was a bit slack from the factory but was refitted using a new nylon tensioner.
Crank split and rebuilt with silver cage bearings.
BUT... the bottom chain guide (for a bog standard GP150) was fouling on front sprocket, almost preventing it from turning. I just cut the redundant part and assembled it.
Too early to say as the engine is still on a table waiting for the frame and bits.

Hope that helps
Regards,
Robert
Cheers from Spain
Robert
(in fleet reorganization)
vespinello

I've buy one by Scooterrestoration...
The engine 'll be fitted stock without any modification (i hope to use more than 1.000 miles :) )
Exhaust Clubman AF 42 mm
Use : touring!

The engine 'll probably upgrade (Mugello) later and i would like to use the same carb.
Wich carb do you advise ?(I won't to use a Spaco/Jettex)

Dellorto?
25PHBL?26PHBH?28PHBH? Other?
From Jupiler Skouter Club
ROB

i worked on a brand new SIL200 engine today. everything ok so far.
the only thing that mades me wonder was as i checked the gap between the endplate and the shim.
shim (2,7mm!!!) is loose but i tried to messure the gap with a feeler gauge which starts with a 0,05mm stripe.....i "feel" no difference inbetween the smallest and biggest stripe....maybei am not inbetween the endplate and the shim???
...or the gap is smaller than the 0,05mm?
have no other shim here at the moment :(
alcoholic maniacs sc
Main scooter: 6 volt mobility spaz chariot

- bought a new sil 200 engine from Armandos about 4 years ago for 550 quid and fitted it to my series 1 for work.Everyone said strip it and check it but i thought its a 10 mile round trip so i'll be lazy and chance it!! I am still using the unmodified engine and have changed the oil once!! 22 mil italian dell'orto and standard italian exhaust. i ran it in carefiully for 2000 miles and then started using it long distance and motorway and it now stands at around 5000 miles, that said i have observed, it needs topping up with oil quite a bit - the clutch seems to drap on set off; i suspect the mechanism is not aligned correctly/adjusted to italian tolerances - the chain rattles a fair bit - its not very quick - the casings are a little rough and this picks up road dirt and looks tatty, but all in all very good value for money!!! having read this article i am tempted to strip it and rebuild to a tighter spec but to be fair its cruised on the motorway 2 up with luggage a fair bit so maybe i dont want to look inside and get a heart attack!! sometimes you can forget its just a simple design and the important bit is treating it like the scooter it is not the kawasaki deathblade 1100 GSXZR it isnt. :lol:
Alcoholic maniacs social club. out f@@k,out fight and out booze 'em.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

Bufficus wrote:...Only one of the brake shoes was making contact with the hub.
this is quite common due to bad casting, yes ?
how is it overcome ?
a mate got a new indian casing and is complaining about a poor rear brake
shocky

byron wrote:
Bufficus wrote:...Only one of the brake shoes was making contact with the hub.
this is quite common due to bad casting, yes ?
how is it overcome ?
a mate got a new indian casing and is complaining about a poor rear brake
you need to pack the bottom shoe out on the cam with a 1mm thick piece of metal
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information