Clutch movement

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
leehuggy72

hi guys,

i've more or less finished building my engine and like any other person was checking what i've done chain set right, gearbox shimmed correctly etc etc

What has alarmed me was the play in the clutch unit itself.. theres quite a bit of play enough for me to worry anyway. is this normal? :? :?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

leehuggy72 wrote:What has alarmed me was the play in the clutch unit itself.. theres quite a bit of play enough for me to worry anyway. is this normal? :? :?
what sort of play do you mean?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

do you mean the crownwheel rocks on the gear cluster ?
shocky

leehuggy72 wrote:hi guys,

i've more or less finished building my engine and like any other person was checking what i've done chain set right, gearbox shimmed correctly etc etc

What has alarmed me was the play in the clutch unit itself.. theres quite a bit of play enough for me to worry anyway. is this normal? :? :?
from the engines ive worked on in the last 2-3 yrs id say yes its normal BUT not right, i suspect as has just been said its rocking which means the clutch spider is to long or the crown wheel is to short ,on a higher powered motor id say its critical to get it right a standard motor would be ok ish , but will wear the chain and sprockets leading to swarf in the oil which will lead to the drive side seal to leak a s**t job to fix
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
leehuggy72

byron wrote:do you mean the crownwheel rocks on the gear cluster ?
Yes mate there's side to side play not a massive amount tho..
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

did you check the crown/spider clearance and also measure shim etc?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
leehuggy72

i've followed sticky's book to the letter, the clutch spider is solid with no side movement, its the crown wheel which has the sloppy play..

i'm seriously thinking of going back to after the gearbox as that is fine and redoing what i've done just to see if i've dropped a :oops: :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information