Soppy idea or worth a punt

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shocky

sean brady scooters wrote:i must agree that all these attempts at lock wiring/grub screws through nuts etc are just overkill and just maybe a futile attempt to overcome somewhat lacking basic requirements.
the use of vespa studs prevents to some degree the probs..
also quality gaskets (that do not dissolve or compress away )
cyl head gasket surface area is another factor in failures....

i,ve yet to see a production motor cycle as yet resorting to the use of wired or grub screwed head nuts... :D
but most m/c,s have properly balanced cranks and top ends and the cylinder is in the correct orientation to the crankshaft design unlike the lammy crank which had a 90deg switch plus lots use o rings and recessed heads and 5 or 6 head bolts
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Is there some special kind of locking wire or just anything that has reasonable tensile strength and holds its shape??
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
J1MS

I don't think it's a matter of lock wire or grub screws, they will stop the head nuts undoing but it's the heating then cooling of the engine, the choice of barrel stud material, and also the compression of gaskets that the re-torque helps eliminate. Locking the studs to the nuts will not eliminate this and the head could still blow once the engine settles in, even though the Cylinder-head nuts can't move...
Chutney Brownlove

Soppy idea. Get a grip. When was the last time your head nuts came loose? How many other bikes lock wire the head nuts?
lakelambrettas
Dealer
Main scooter: SX200

I've commented on this on the LCGB site. If anyone's interested this is it:

Are you asking for comments on wire locking? If so there is a particular way that it should be done and from what I can see it's not been done correctly in this instance, it wouldn't have the desired effect.

This may be of interest http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP562.PDF Wire locking is shown from page 314. It's also on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_wire

Denis

PS In answer to dapper's question, yes there is wire especially made for wire locking.
Last edited by lakelambrettas on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's IW
not IOW!
plantman

if your at a loose end mate would a quality split cowl be use full ?
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Chutney Brownlove wrote:Soppy idea. Get a grip. When was the last time your head nuts came loose? How many other bikes lock wire the head nuts?
I dont get it either.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

whilst i appreciate the lock wire method on certain things,i,m not convinced its a really good idea on lambo cylinder heads
as firstly ,before even contiplating drilling your nuts and studs you would have to make sure that the motor has gone through a few heat cycles first...and so lock wiring would be quite an overkill approach /uneeded and more hassle.
and also you would require complete confidence in the fact that your gaskets would not compress away or deteriorate in any way..as some seem to do ...
you would also have to be 100 % sure that your deck height ,squish /comp ratios etc etc was also spot on before lock wireing as any changes to these later would affect the drilling alignments for the lock wires .. :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information