Anyone seen mis-machined 200 casings....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Seen this a couple of times now, and wondered if anyone had seen anything similar:

Scooter comes in, wont tickover, smoking, spitting black shite out of exhaust.....i suggest oil seals need looking at. Strip down, pool of black oil in exhaust pipe and in crankcase mouth. Remove the 4 reccessed head screws, fit new seal, and go to refit plate....and notice that the 4 machined stud holes in the casing, dont match the 4 reccessed holes in the uprated oil seal plate. Match up 1 hole, and teh other 3 dont line up properly.

You can try to line up the plate as best possible, but on one occasion, as you tighten up the 4 screws....to a ceratin degree they are 'self centering' and they drag the plate out of line...so that the oil seal doesnt sit 100% inline with the bearing etc.

Anyone else seen this?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Ian Hepworth

Broady mentioned it recently, can't remember what his solution was.
TS1-200

might be a stupid question to somebody that knows Lambrettas inside out, but have you tried an original oil seal retaining plate ? just a thought.
Keep on keepin on
Speed Demon
Dealer

Heard of this as a relatively common problem with recent (last 3-4 years) Indian casings.
Get to SULK
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Can you not rotate the oil seal retaining plate by 45 degrees, and drill and tap new holes?
Martin
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

Knowledge wrote:Can you not rotate the oil seal retaining plate by 45 degrees, and drill and tap new holes?

Thats exactly what Ive done on a couple of cases :D
Its easiest way to fix
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Ahh...so it is quite common. Typical indian shite engineering!

Yes, you can drill new holes etc....but its such an arse when you have a customers scooter in bits on the bench, thinking its a simple oil seal replacement, and then next thing you're faffing with drilling/tapping etc....pain in the arse.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
soullad
Dealer

Whenever I know I'm reusing a steel retaining plate on a rebuild I dot punch the plate / surrounding so that it goes back in the exact way it came out.
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

soullad wrote:Whenever I know I'm reusing a steel retaining plate on a rebuild I dot punch the plate / surrounding so that it goes back in the exact way it came out.

Thats a good idea as well :)
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
carlos fandango

Knowledge wrote:Can you not rotate the oil seal retaining plate by 45 degrees, and drill and tap new holes?
Wouldn`t this cause you to break through the casing to the sprocket side ? as where the screws go the casting is thickened up to allow for them.
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information