power to lights problem 12v

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
boxofbits

went for ride Sunday light horn worked spot on them got home nothing –

No back light /brake or anything – engine still runs—so thought it may be the stator – seems to be power coming out of it but only read s 4-5 on electric tester on tick over –( wire which goes into regulator box which powers lights) when you rev it picks up easy enough to 8 v then 12 v with a bit more revs

What can it be – checked cleaned all Earths all seems to be ok – the only one I haven’t checked is one on the rear light it seems rusted on so will give that a go tonight

What should it read – should it be 12 v on tick over or higher that 4-5– could it be a stator problem?? engine runs ok but thats it

Do you think its worth buying a new stator?
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Stator won't put out 12V until engine revved up a bit. I'd look in the headset for a loose connection first or dodgy ignition switch.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Daggs

If we are discussing the usual 12V AC conversion, the wire from the stator carrying Vac to the reg. (usually ylw sometimes brown [Indian]) should produce a pretty unstable ac up to around 30volts with gentle revving. The reg. stabilises and regulates it to circa 12v.
boxofbits

so if mine showing 4- 5 volts on tick over and goes to about 8-12 with a gentel rev - if so wouldn’t that point to a dodgy stator? Not producing enough power? for the lights -- ?
Daggs

If you have removed the yellow from the reg. and are checking it to earth on the engine. That voltage seems low. It could be be a dodgy joint on the stator, check 'em.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information