Easy (non exotic) TS1 Replacement piston

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Chris F
Main scooter: 1967 Lambitsa 200

I managed to hole the piston going flat out up hill tonight. All the classic symptoms. I'm already thinking about the new one. I've yet to get the motor apart (as the scoots in a mates shed at the mo) and I'm interested in some opinions as to what the best "non-packing plate" solutions are out there.

It's my first TS1 and I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction. What's been used and deemed suitable a suitable replacement without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance.
mark

std piston or race tour imho
Dryballs

Race tour from MBD definately!

I put new rings in mine over the weekend after nearly 2 years of caning, but I shouldnt have bothered!
Good to take the barrel off tho and check I guess?
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

Ts1 piston with 1mm rings or MB racetour
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
Chris F

Thanks men. Sounds like MBD Race tour it is. I hope I'm able to find a dealer here in the States, otherwise I'll have to send for it on the slow boat.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

And make sure you find out why it holed (mix, squish, timing,comp ratio, air leak etc etc) and fix the problem. Dont just 'fit n ride'.

;o)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
guygrrr
Main scooter: 1980 Vespa P187

i think mark should be able to get you sorted,

http://jet200.com/catalog/index.php
----------------------
more can do, less doodoo.
Chris F

I'm thinking it was a combination of factors.

I was running a little lean on the mix. In the 3% area but not lower. I was killing my last bottle of Mobile 1 before switching over to Motul 800 and came up a wee under 4%. I don't run an air filter on the mikuni. that could factor in. I was going flat out, full tuck, passing18 wheel lorries at about 70mph ish.... up a steep hill with less than a half of standard bretta tank of gas. Fuel starvation could be a factor.

I'd been really wringing it's neck for about 8 miles before heading up that steep incline. I could be wrong, but I feel (no proof) that it was hot and lean. :roll: Oh well.. live an learn.

But yeah.. deffo not a 'fit n ride' piston job. It'll get sorted right. I've got a club mate that's pretty ace with all two wheeled machines. He's something of a moped whisperer. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information