which engine should I go for.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
caspa2006

cheers nick, this is the sort of information i was really after all the pros and cons
i know ts1 are great and quick, tried and tested but rb sound lots more fun granted
more money for a little bit more fun :o :o . what can you do to stop the rbs from over heating get rid of the splash plate add an air scoope direct on to the barrel or is this a deisgn fault or nick your lump under jetted.
Vespa made in Italy thrashed in Great Britain
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

Set them up right is the best way ,all those thousands of miles thrashing the demo RB there was no hint of it getting hot nor on any i built for customers either.To be honest any engine set up wrong will over heat what ever kit it has fitted. I think that there are a lot of poorley set up RB kits out there but thats my opinion, i suppose i will get a rollocking for saying this. Also on the subject of EGT,s what is the correct temp i dont think anyone knows just a new fangled gadget to confuse people even more.
nick jordan

your so right about the egt if i could afford the damage i would like to push mine to find out but i bottle out at 750 which seems to be considered way too hot, i have done a couple of thousand miles on my rb now but still hear from alot of people including some of the most experienced traders that they are getting unreasonable wear etc due to hotter running,as far as i am concerned mine is set up right and its the price i am paying for tuning the kit to get the extra bhp out of it,at the end of the day its"horses for courses"i have the rb for tearing about on and a standardish ts1 for travelling.
Sorry caspa for getting of your original thread but Stuart if you had to pick an engine/kit for the miles--euros etc what would you recommend?----nick
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

100mphlambrettaclub wrote: Also on the subject of EGT,s what is the correct temp i dont think anyone knows just a new fangled gadget to confuse people even more.
I'm staggered at this comment. Really surprised.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
leigh

cezeta wrote:come to terms with it casper or be disapointed, you will not be doing 90-100mph on a road going scooter

if you realy want to do 90mph then go for the dac its 40bhp the rb is a 25bhp engine which is way off

not saying this graph is wrong, but i gps'd my RB at 92 mph on the local dual carriage way. all i done was match the ports all round, at the time it was runing an NK pipe, AF lightened flywheel static at 19 degrees, 34 delly running sx 200 box. must admit this was flat out where as the dactec thingy would prob be burbling along at this sort of speed.

Leigh
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

leigh wrote:
cezeta wrote:come to terms with it casper or be disapointed, you will not be doing 90-100mph on a road going scooter

if you realy want to do 90mph then go for the dac its 40bhp the rb is a 25bhp engine which is way off

not saying this graph is wrong, but i gps'd my RB at 92 mph on the local dual carriage way. all i done was match the ports all round, at the time it was runing an NK pipe, AF lightened flywheel static at 19 degrees, 34 delly running sx 200 box. must admit this was flat out where as the dactec thingy would prob be burbling along at this sort of speed.

Leigh
Just to be clear, this graphical data is based on a stock bodied Lambretta, traveling on a flat road with no head/tail wind. On that basis you're looking at a fraction over 30bhp.
tony wrote:
100mphlambrettaclub wrote: Also on the subject of EGT,s what is the correct temp i dont think anyone knows just a new fangled gadget to confuse people even more.
Me too - given the number of people that post on here having destroyed an engine, I think the more info the better, even if you were only looking for unusual differentials in temperature or sudden unexpected spikes.
Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
leigh

Avantone wrote:
leigh wrote:

Leigh
Just to be clear, this graphical data is based on a stock bodied Lambretta, traveling on a flat road with no head/tail wind. On that basis you're looking at a fraction over 30bhp.
Tony

I wasnt trying to knock this graph in any way and have seen that had read it wrong. mine is a full bodied lammy but must admit that i also believe a fudge factor has to be taken in even on gps readings.

Leigh
cezeta

not arguing for or against gps speeds but when my brother got his vapour speedo i followed in the car and we did the 30 40 50 60 ect incriments to see if the lammy speedo renault speedo vapor speedo and gps speedo were any where near each other.

the renault was showing 5mph faster than the gps and the lammy was 5mph faster but got further out the higher the speed.

what was odd though was that there were times when the gps was actualy the speed i did not trust as it did not match with the other three speedos and would read high in one direction and low in another.

its still the nearest we have so ill stick with it but strange all the same
mark

vapour speedos use a pickup ,this means that you set the speedo for circumfrence of tyre. as you go faster your tyre gets taller and the speedo reads wrong .
car speedos are notoriously wrong from the manufacturer.
gps systems are run by global positioning sattellites and are as close to true speed as you can hope for . if you run a garmin 101 and a tomtom together you get exactly the same speed showing .
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

tony wrote:
Its pretty simple really these systems are commonly used on microlights ect. As these are usually factory set engines im pretty sure that they know what the temp reading should be . On Lambretta,s every engine is different even if people are using the same cylinder kit they will either have different exhausts ,different carbs ,different jetting , different squish and so on . It is virtually impossible to know what temp a lambretta engine should run at as they are all unique. Great example was a lad who was told that his egt should only read a a certain temp and anything over that it would blow up. Anytime he ran over 40 mph it read higher than he was told and he was so confused he virtually stopped using it. What im trying to get at is if for instance you have an engine that runs perfectly and you put an egt on it and it runs a certain temp you use that as a marker. If one day you are out for example and you loose fuel flow and the reading rises then yes shut the engine off before it blows up. The problem stems from the fact what is a correct reading for your engine because it is running fine isnt the same for the next Lambretta and so on. In conclusion buy an egt for your engine and use it but dont compere your readings with anyone else as they cant be deemed correct unless their set up is identical. I use a temp guage on my RB (not an EGT) but it serves only as a warning if the temp rises that something could be up not anything else. Im not trying to knock improvements or developemnts thats what i spend most of my time doing just that somethings need to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes. One final note which reverts back to my earlier post if an engine is not set up correct no egt or temp guage for that matter are going to help you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information