ebay 175 alloy kits

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Anyone tried one of these? verdict? I was after an iron stage 4 175 kit,but my local dealer has sold out. I'm at the cheap end of the market!
Stokie

Sean / Dan & Co

Can you make a FAQ section or a sticky about these kits as so many people ask the same questions and get the same answers that it might be well worth the effort.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

I seem to remember a thread about this not long ago..?
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Stokie

Quick answer
Generally these kits need some work before fitting.
Ports are very rough.
The cylinder head for the 185 kits I understand is incorrectly machined and should be replaced - some seem to get them to work but others have problems - not sure if the 175 has a similar problem.
Harry Barlow of Pro Porting in Leicester has a good reputation for making these kits work well and isn't expensive - other tuners can of course offer similar services.

The 175 kit seems to get the least bad press but I can only guess the ports are as rough as the others.
You could clean up the inlet and exhaust ports quite easily yourself with a dremel or similar, the transfers are more difficult to work on unless you have a more comprehensive tool kit.

Look here for info by Mark Broadhurst of MB Developments - although note that this was written after the initial launch of the SR kits some years ago.
The supposed piston problems of the early kits seem to have been fixed - or at least that's my impression.

I have a stage 4 MB tuned iron 175cc conversion and it works very well. I also have a Pro Porting tuned Suzuki 190 which uses one of these alloy barrels which I'm sure will be spot on too - alas it's still not on the road. :oops:
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Lam46 wrote:I seem to remember a thread about this not long ago..?
Not long ago? December 2008....on the old forum.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

See here: http://www.phpbb88.com/scooterotica/vie ... ooterotica
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

I think they are out of stock just now, but the AF Rayspeed 175 kits are OK.

Or if you get an eBay one, just make sure you take it to a tuner and have it tidied up first.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Stokie

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
Lam46 wrote:I seem to remember a thread about this not long ago..?
Not long ago? December 2008....on the old forum.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

See here: http://www.phpbb88.com/scooterotica/vie ... ooterotica
How did the barrel that Sean was working on in the old thread turn out - any pictures ?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

it actually turned out really good......
in fact after finally setting up the scoot on the dyno,we got something like 17 BHP with a good spread of power
to put this in perspective, most rapido,s that we have seen with same carb/pipe produce about 15 bhp....
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information