Crank Play

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Had a heat seize - u-bend nut come loose, air leak. piston locked solid but got cylinder off easy enough (yes piston no longer any use) but on checking crank (still in place) some slight side to side movement, flywheel seems ok although it had rubbed up against the cowling however one of the 3 cork buffers glued to the head cowling had come away & was in the flywheel cowling when i removed the cowling so do not know it that has played a part in the flywheel against cowling rubbing.

I can't remember if the crank should have much if any 'side to side play', any suggestions - seisure causing this or main driveside bearing?

Thanks
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Northener wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:29 pm Had a heat seize - u-bend nut come loose, air leak. piston locked solid but got cylinder off easy enough (yes piston no longer any use) but on checking crank (still in place) some slight side to side movement, flywheel seems ok although it had rubbed up against the cowling however one of the 3 cork buffers glued to the head cowling had come away & was in the flywheel cowling when i removed the cowling so do not know it that has played a part in the flywheel against cowling rubbing.

I can't remember if the crank should have much if any 'side to side play', any suggestions - seisure causing this or main driveside bearing?

Thanks

Was it a hard seize ie locked the motor up ? Maybe worthwhile taking the crank out and getting it checked by someone ?
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Thanks for reply.

Yes locked solid, i'd just stopped at a roundabout when engine died so had clutch in, left her for 30 -40 mins when it happened to see if it released before calling recovery. I run two stroke oil into plug hole & left after getting home, all on floor out of leaking u-bend, check nuts every few weeks as used often but these things happen.

I've taken crank out, got a truing jig so will check & putting a new drive side bearing in although 'appears' ok play appears to be from that side.

Couldn't remember if any side to side play should be there but i drew the crank in slightly before taking it out & slightly less play, might have to put another top end on though, don't think honing tool i've got will remove scores.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information