Li150 starting troubles - fuel related?

FREE tuning and maintenance info, plus links to our original tuning pages that started it all off.
kurtminus
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150

Hello,

I’ve got a 65’ Li150 S3 with a Jetex sh2/22. Runs fantastic, super strong spark, etc. problem is sometimes it’s really hard to start, and the only thing you can do is push it down a hill and pop the clutch. 

There is fuel in the bowl when this happens but it seems (to me) like a lot of fuel. Like the fuel is up to the top of the bowl. Also the spark plug is wet. 

It seems like maybe it’s flooding? Thing is, there is no float adjustment on this carb. Could it be something else?

Is there something tuning wise that perhaps is very sensitive on these bikes? Spark plug gap maybe? Idle jet size? Timing? Like I said it runs great once it’s started up. 

I’m pretty stumped on this at this point. 
Daggs

Choke operating correctly?
What size pilot jet?
If you think the float bowl is overfilling. You may need a replacement needle valve (Red-tip) Check to see if it shuts off by holding the float up with the fuel turned on.
kurtminus
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150

Daggs wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 am Choke operating correctly?
What size pilot jet?
If you think the float bowl is overfilling. You may need a replacement needle valve (Red-tip) Check to see if it shuts off by holding the float up with the fuel turned on.
Daggs wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 am Choke operating correctly?
What size pilot jet?
Choke operates correctly, when it does start the choke keeps it running till it’s warm enough to run without. Do you need to fine tune the choke adjustment for cold starting? Could there be too much or not enough choke? This isn’t something I’ve run into on other bikes but are lambrettas sensitive to this?

Pilot jet is 50.

Float needle tip is very clean and looks good. I’ve tested it with the bowl off just holding the needle closed with the gas on… but I haven’t tried it lately so perhaps I’ll give another try.

I’ve not been able to find a replacement JETEX float needle for this carb online, only dellorto, which do not fit.
Lambretta67
Main scooter: Lambretta L.I. 200 special

Try turning the petrol off before you stop the scooter. let it run a while with the petrol off. Next time you start it don't turn the petrol on till it fires up
Daggs

It sounds like the choke is operating correctly. A 50 Pilot jet is quite big. I would put a 45 in it and see how that works, also reset the mixture screw.

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... dle-jetex/

They also have 45 and 48 pilot jets.

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... -45-jetex/
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

My Li was difficult to start back when I bought it. Turned out to be the drive side crank seal.
Check your gearbox oil
Lambretta67
Main scooter: Lambretta L.I. 200 special

Try scooter restorations for your float needle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information