Running up that hill!

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
craigk
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

Hi all,

I've searched the forum for related modification posts, but imagine there must be upgraded parts coming on the market all the time (last post I could find with any relevance was 2017).

I'm getting a standard PX 125 (2001), but were I live there are a few hills, one is affectionally known locally as 'Heart attack hill', so you get the picture! I'm no means technical, but think it's the torque that needs to be worked on right? Not fussed about top end at all, I'm after acceleration/pulling power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I say I'm not technical, but willing to have a go at fitting an exhaust, or similar. Not sure about fitting kits/carbs/cranks though.

Thanks in advance.
scooterslag

Hiya, a useful and easy update for a PX125 engine is a 150cc top end, straightforward to fit , uses the same exhaust and carb. Just needs a up-jet carburettor wise and maybe adjust the stator plate timing. It provides a very useful increase in torque and a few extra MPH'S . ;) all the best Paul
The mack daddy on the left!
craigk

scooterslag wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 am Hiya, a useful and easy update for a PX125 engine is a 150cc top end, straightforward to fit , uses the same exhaust and carb. Just needs a up-jet carburettor wise and maybe adjust the stator plate timing. It provides a very useful increase in torque and a few extra MPH'S . ;) all the best Paul
Thanks Paul. Would a 177 kit be even better?

Up-jet carburettor. Stator plate timing :? I need to get reading me thinks!! More than willing to give it a go, I just don't want to wreck the engine by doing something wrong! I really am a noob when it comes to mechanics.

Cheers,

Craig
scooterslag

craigk wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:59 am
scooterslag wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 am Hiya, a useful and easy update for a PX125 engine is a 150cc top end, straightforward to fit , uses the same exhaust and carb. Just needs a up-jet carburettor wise and maybe adjust the stator plate timing. It provides a very useful increase in torque and a few extra MPH'S . ;) all the best Paul
Thanks Paul. Would a 177 kit be even better?

Up-jet carburettor. Stator plate timing :? I need to get reading me thinks!! More than willing to give it a go, I just don't want to wreck the engine by doing something wrong! I really am a noob when it comes to mechanics.

Cheers,

Craig
Hello Craig, yep a 177 kit ( or similar) would be a better performer than the 150cc top end but as its a standard fitting the 150 is more plug and play. The kits really needs the gearing to be up-rated and a increase in carb size to run well. As for technical advice - a copy of the Haynes Manual for PX125/150/200 shows taking the carb off, flywheel timing etc. Not to mention people on here and other forums. All the best Paul ;)
The mack daddy on the left!
gaz_powell

Have you been up this hill on a px 125??
A bolted on 150 top end in my opinion won't make a huge difference when you hit this hill if its so steep/long.
Get the px and give it a go, at worst you are only gonna have to go up it once on a journey.
If I were going to improve a px conservatively, I would get a SIP Road 2 exhaust, have the standard top end tweeked (make sure the bore is tip top, clean up ports) drill the air filter, upjet the main by 1 or 2. No need to touch the timing. 2001 model uses the older unrestricted ignition so you have that on your side.
A good friend of mine who ride 200s for years opted to do a year's nation rallies on a px125. Speaking to him he said it wasn't as bad as you he imagined it was gonna be. Don't be in a rush to put a kit on, this brings, timing, jetting issues.
craigk

[/quote]

Hello Craig, yep a 177 kit ( or similar) would be a better performer than the 150cc top end but as its a standard fitting the 150 is more plug and play. The kits really needs the gearing to be up-rated and a increase in carb size to run well. As for technical advice - a copy of the Haynes Manual for PX125/150/200 shows taking the carb off, flywheel timing etc. Not to mention people on here and other forums. All the best Paul ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Paul, things to thin about for sure! All the best
craigk

gaz_powell wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 pm Have you been up this hill on a px 125??
Hi, no, not yet. A friend has a derestricted Vespa 50 (not quite the same I know), but it struggles on some of them And there's more than one!

Thanks for the advice too. Its been quite a few years since I've had a scooter and that was only a 50. It might be fine and won't need any modifications. Looks like there's plenty of options though, some less expensive/easy to do than others.

Cheers,

Craig
craigk

Something like this would probably do for now...

http://www.mbike.com/news/2015/05/meet- ... age-vespa/
gaz_powell

A SIP R2 on its own would be a worthwhile improvement.

Give it a go as it comes first.
PX 125s are bullet proof and can be thrashed all day
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information