Super Unleaded

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Given the need to use Super Unleaded with the introduction of E10 fuel, is there anything to be aware of with my Series 2 that has a Stage 4 175 conversion? Do I need to use a different plug?
johnny diamond

I use esso supreme, many don't know that although it states 5% ethanol on the pump, there is no ethanol in there supreme fuel and they have no plan's to add it in the future.!!
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

johnny diamond wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 am I use esso supreme, many don't know that although it states 5% ethanol on the pump, there is no ethanol in there supreme fuel and they have no plan's to add it in the future.!!
Whoaah! It depends whereabouts you are in the UK. This quotation from Esso clarifies availability:

"The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (Except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland. The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist"
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

I wonder where Northern England starts, north of the M25!
Warkton Tornado No.1

Tractorman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm I wonder where Northern England starts, north of the M25!
I hope not!

Anyway, I was told years ago that I was a "slack southerner" living, as I do, in Northamptonshire :lol:
MightyGem

Interesting answers, none of which answer my question.

Anybody??
Warkton Tornado No.1

MightyGem wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:22 pm Interesting answers, none of which answer my question.

Anybody??
No, you won't need to change the plug grade.

With a higher grade of fuel, you ought to get better performance & even advance the ignition from current setting for a perkier engine. That would assume you know what you are doing, with respect.....

I think I do know what I am doing & run static ignitions no further retarded than 19 DBTDC on powerful road engines as the result of my total methodology, which revolves around CR, squish, carburation, cooling & exhausts. Roughly speaking.

It seems to me as though you may as well continue as you are, but be aware that modern fuels need using relatively soon after purchase.

(Other Forum users may not have addressed your question to your satisfaction because, like me, the ethanol free Esso is somewhat of a revelation & means it will likely have a substantially longer shelf life, being non-hygroscopic)
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I always use higher octane fuel whenever it is available and have done for years, my setup isn't any different to those who use standard unleaded
gaz_powell

The fun comes on the road when you have to fill up with what you can, unfortunately on big rides and relatively small tanks often there's no choice... We shall see when we let loose again
MightyGem

Burnside wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:44 pm I always use higher octane fuel whenever it is available and have done for years, my setup isn't any different to those who use standard unleaded
Thanks.
With a higher grade of fuel, you ought to get better performance
Yes, I was expecting that but thought there might be a problem with the extra heat?
even advance the ignition from current setting for a perkier engine. That would assume you know what you are doing, with respect....
No, I don't...not for that at any rate. :lol: I'd have to get a man to do that. :lol: :lol:
ethanol free Esso
Not available here in the North West, according to Esso. My local Sainsbury's sell Super Unleaded though.
Thanks, Warkton
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information