Nightmare of a day.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
kevspeed

A mate wants his scooter converted to 12v electronic,simple operation,done loads,so off we go.
Bog standard SX 150, 20mm carb,airbox,points,running ok apart from really bad lights,hence the 12v conversion.
Scootronics CDI with diagnostic light,Scootronics external pick up,NGK B8ES plug,all good quality items.
Kit fitted,timed at 19 degrees,strobed,all spot on,fires up easily but wont rev,its like the engine is being strangled. The only not 'new' item in the equasion is the stator plate!,this was tested,and gave a reading within the acceptable boundaries ( we did try another which had a lower reading but exactly the same problem).
Been through it all several times,carb cleaned out (spotless anyway),air hose off,air hose on,wire to harness (ignition switch) removed,several other timing settings tried,still no joy :(
Would an LT coil break down as the engine revs got higher? as i seem to remember having a similar problem with an internal pick up,but as we're using a new external item im pretty sure its not that :?
Daggs

Make sure the crossover magnets on the flywheel are lining up with the stator pick-up.
kevspeed

Daggs wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:55 pm Make sure the crossover magnets on the flywheel are lining up with the stator pick-up.
Not using the internal pick up, just a Scootronics external pick up.
Daggs

Oh! I'm baffled then .......... :)
kejj

Spark plug going out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

A friend has had some problems with scootronics stuff perhaps the problem lies in one of the new bits you have put on.
kevspeed

Tractorman wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 am A friend has had some problems with scootronics stuff perhaps the problem lies in one of the new bits you have put on.
Could be.... I'll swop the external pick up for the one on my scoot, see if it changes anything.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I've gone away from NGK & reverted to Champion for non suppressed engines (points) or Denso for suppressed (electronic) as counterfeiting is rife plus I think NGK were 'fussy' anyway.

As a result, I would switch to an old, trusted plug with a non suppressed cap as a test, then run it with the strobe on.

Look for anything that the strobe may tell you. A flicker, or variation in timing that is in anyway abnormal.

It is unfortunate that improvements & the quest for reliability are sought in the purchase of electronic ignitions, yet 'our' experiences prove different.

A brand new AF lightweight ignition I have will only work with an old ex-race PX CDI out of the four that I had to hand, including the one in the kit!
kevspeed

kevspeed wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:08 am
Tractorman wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 am A friend has had some problems with scootronics stuff perhaps the problem lies in one of the new bits you have put on.
Could be.... I'll swop the external pick up for the one on my scoot, see if it changes anything.
Nope, still the same, swopped the pick up, no difference, swopped the cdi, no difference, the only thing left is the LT coil😕
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Dodgy flywheel ? loose magnets or a crack in the magnet would give the symptoms you've described
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information