Engine choice

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

chippy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm So looking at a dealer built quattrini with vape ignition/ 5 speed box etc from a bare casing you would not get any change from 5k

dont think thats too far off if you use the uni replacement casings and an AF 5speed .

if use casa performance casings add about £1500 add another £500 for a casa 5speed box

or about another £900 if go for the MB 5speed .

if self build youll need various special tools or at least access to them as well

there maybe some sort of warranty for a dealer built engine as well
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

wintermod65 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

Really? What would that extend to, I wonder?

Having had product failures that include Castrol (2T oil), DRT (gearbox), MBD (cush drive bolt), Mazzuchelli (conrod), Mugello (plating) & A F Rayspeed (conrod) I would be amazed if anybody involved in Lambretta performance enhancement would hold their hands up to an issue being of their making, let alone cough up......

Consider all of the issues with electronic ignitions, the thing that is bizarrely so often the replacement for points ignition for those seeking 'reliability' :lol:
Leo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Having had product failures that include Castrol (2T oil), DRT (gearbox), MBD (cush drive bolt), Mazzuchelli (conrod), Mugello (plating) & A F Rayspeed (conrod) I would be amazed if anybody involved in Lambretta performance enhancement would hold their hands up to an issue being of their making, let alone cough up......

Consider all of the issues with electronic ignitions, the thing that is bizarrely so often the replacement for points ignition for those seeking 'reliability' :lol:
The only guarantee you will ever get when it goes wrong is that it will be your fault.......
shamrockexpress

Leo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:52 pm

The only guarantee you will ever get when it goes wrong is that it will be your fault.......
well said that man!!!!!!!!!!
wintermod65

"The only guarantee you will ever get when it goes wrong is that it will be your fault......."

well you got me there,

final diagnosis of my GT240 woes was put down to " my riding style" so guess that fits the your fault model nicely !

i went for a part built SST 265 to replace the GT, last summer and spoke to oiltek who said the RLC built ones were Guaranteed so i ordered from them that didnt turn up in the timescale they promised so i cancelled the order .

it doesnt hurt to ask what sort of warranty a dealer offers especially when spending £4.5 - £8k on an engine .if youre not happy with their answer well you dont have to contribute to their pension fund !

Does raise the question why spend all the money we do on aftermarket parts if its nothing but junk ?
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I would expect if any problems that are clearly down to a build issue that a 'dealer' would sort this out, where it's part failure it would be harsh to blame the guy who built the engine, parts shouldn't fail but sometimes they do, even the supposed best/most expensive so that would need a discussion with the part manufacturer. Then of course the engine builder is not responsible for what happens to it after it left their workshop, did the rider follow the running in instructions, did they use the correct oil ratio, did they labour the engine uphill or thrash it downhill or hold it at WOT for far too long whilst running in? Just too may variable in there.
wintermod65

theres been some "legal " videos on scootermunky youtube recently maybe this subject would be an interesting one to cover .

Maybe warranty is another reason these awful chinese auto things are becoming popular looking at the distributors website it says 2 years 60,000 km for a roylooy 300 lc at just under £5k purchase price (which is what my engine cost ).

not that this would make me personally buy one, my other scooter has big wheels and a Ducati badge :lol: :lol: :lol:
wintermod65

correction thats the scooter factory / youtube channel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information