Advice

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
OliverCiaravella
Main scooter: NSU Prima D

So I have obtained a free NSU Prima D scooter I have the original log book and looking into it, it was owned since 1957 by one owner and last taxed in 1964.

It has 900 miles on it. It has been stored in a dry garage since 1964 and appears in pretty good condition.

What’s the likelihood that the engine will have seized or will need significant work?

I will likely change all seals but wondered if I need to be prepared for significant work on it.

Also whilst we will likely keep this what would be a value once reconditioned for insurance purposes.

Many thanks Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

That’s beautiful and rare. Value wise, I don’t know. Perhaps contact VMSC, Vintage Motor Scooter Club if there is not an owners club.

I once recommissioned a Vespa Rally that had been off the road for about 35 years but I thought had fairly low miles. I ended up having to replace the clutch and the carburettor (an ultrasonic clean didn’t work). Other than that, new plug, oil, battery and petrol and I was away.

A year or so later, as I was planning a trip into Europe, I did strip the engine, replace the piston rings, big end bearing and a few seals and, if we ignore having to replace the loom after I shorted it out and set fire to it, it has been largely untouched for the last 6 or 7 years.

If I were you, just try and get it running and take it from there.
OliverCiaravella

Thanks

In terms of engine rebuild what mileage would you suggest.

I think due to the oil over the engine I would say replacing seals would be best option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Given the age, the mileage is not the key issue. How do you know it has only done 900 miles?

My Rally had 1500 on the speedo but I could tell by the road dirt that it had done more.
OliverCiaravella

As we got it from the original owner who owned it from new and wasn’t taxed since 1964
iamwoody
Main scooter: li225

Identical scooter to one i acquired a few years , i very good well put together scooter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information