King of the Clubman’s - Lambretta scooter - Taylor Tuned 33hp touring rally exhaust

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Fingers crossed for you.
kejj

wintermod65 wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 pm ... sounds frustrating. I hope that you get on better with the SST.
i do too , it was a close call new engine or new bike , as had my eye on a triumph street scrambler 1200 , but decided to give the scooter one last go in hope of getting things right .

you have to draw a line somewhere so im all in on this one ,failure is not an option as i will have spent just south of £30k since i started restoration in 2017 , thats parts paint an labour an cost of scooter ( £1800)
I’ll gladly buy the gt240 of you. I’ve run a gt200 all over Europe and it never missed a beat !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
coaster

kejj wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:52 pm
wintermod65 wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 pm ... sounds frustrating. I hope that you get on better with the SST.
i do too , it was a close call new engine or new bike , as had my eye on a triumph street scrambler 1200 , but decided to give the scooter one last go in hope of getting things right .

you have to draw a line somewhere so im all in on this one ,failure is not an option as i will have spent just south of £30k since i started restoration in 2017 , thats parts paint an labour an cost of scooter ( £1800)
I’ll gladly buy the gt240 of you. I’ve run a gt200 all over Europe and it never missed a beat !

In the interests of ballance, I'd say that Wintermodel's experience with his GT240 is not typical. MIne has well over 6k miles on it now running with a BGM V3 and 4.8 gearing and never overheated even hacking along Italian motorways in onscene heat on the way to the Italian Euro. The only issue Ive had was needing a rebore and piston after 4k miles but that was down to me buying a used longrange tank that was absolutely full of rust and scale.Richard Taylor was amazingly supportive as was Eden. Richard had to order in a batch of plus .25 pistons in order to sell me one but then the machine shop informed me it would need a plus .5 bore to clean up the wear :o Richard was great, he had to order in a batch of 50 (minimum order) and gave me a full refund on the unused .25 piston.

As for the BGM 'gassing up', my egt does read very high i.e. around 600 degrees plus but as I say, no indication of overheating even after prolonged running at 65plus mph loaded up on the motorway. I recently fitted a GT200 top end to my other scooter and that has a Fan Race pipe on it and also runs an egt temp in the mid 600 degree range. Both use a Scootronics Gamma gauge.

Eric's scooter in Dan's video sounds like a lovely and carefully set up bike, it is obviously at least 10 bhp over my 240 and the BGM doesnt rev on like Darrel's pipe but a properly set up GT240 has the same ability to plod in top gear at 20mph and then roll on up without having to change down.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

coaster wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:27 pm
wintermod65 wrote:

In the interests of ballance, I'd say that Wintermodel's experience with his GT240 is not typical. MIne has well over 6k miles on it now running with a BGM V3 and 4.8 gearing and never overheated even hacking along Italian motorways in onscene heat on the way to the Italian Euro. The only issue Ive had was needing a rebore and piston after 4k miles but that was down to me buying a used longrange tank that was absolutely full of rust and scale.Richard Taylor was amazingly supportive as was Eden. Richard had to order in a batch of plus .25 pistons in order to sell me one but then the machine shop informed me it would need a plus .5 bore to clean up the wear :o Richard was great, he had to order in a batch of 50 (minimum order) and gave me a full refund on the unused .25 piston.

As for the BGM 'gassing up', my egt does read very high i.e. around 600 degrees plus but as I say, no indication of overheating even after prolonged running at 65plus mph loaded up on the motorway. I recently fitted a GT200 top end to my other scooter and that has a Fan Race pipe on it and also runs an egt temp in the mid 600 degree range. Both use a Scootronics Gamma gauge.

Eric's scooter in Dan's video sounds like a lovely and carefully set up bike, it is obviously at least 10 bhp over my 240 and the BGM doesnt rev on like Darrel's pipe but a properly set up GT240 has the same ability to plod in top gear at 20mph and then roll on up without having to change down.
I have the v4 bgm fitted , others have told me these are different to the v3 an not just the improvement of brazed bracketry but the way they work .

the avanti xbox has been recommended as a better option than the v4

what gearbox do you run to get the 4.8.1 ?

what ignition do you use too?
wintermod65

wintermod65 wrote:

the scooter has been over at discodezs since last november i don’t know when i’ll get it back or whether the engine issues have been sorted .

the engine has cost just about £5k plus whatever they charge me for the recent work .
i’m not in the business of passing on problems so idea is to get new piston an cylinder hone .
remove carb , stator - flywheel, bgm clubman as suspicion has been cast on these as cause of issues the sell engine as a unit as every part excluding 3 of loose gears an cluster are new . i don’t have time tools or inclination to strip it any further

coaster

wintermod65 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 pm
I have the v4 bgm fitted , others have told me these are different to the v3 an not just the improvement of brazed bracketry but the way they work .

the avanti xbox has been recommended as a better option than the v4

what gearbox do you run to get the 4.8.1 ?

what ignition do you use too?
I lied, just checked the visualiser and Im running 4.6 final drive using Li150 gears, 46 rear and 17 front sprockets. Ignition id a Scootronics DC stator with Scootronics external pickup. I have used a Scootronics High Power CDI but its currently running with a cheap ebay CDI set to 17 degrees btdc. I've also heard good things about the XBox and will probably but one.

If you get your cylinder rebored I would highly recommend Gosnay in Romford http://www.gosnays.co.uk/acatalog/ Proper old school engineering workshop, the counter staff all wear brown denim coats so must be good :lol: They did mine to the correct bore clearance, their comms was superb (phoned me to tell me the problem with needing to bore bigger).
wintermod65

hi
i’ve seen others run li 150 gearing 47/17 with franspeed race pipes

i was told either the sx box or gp200 19/46

3rd is quite revvy but it doesn’t want to pull 4th then temps start building .

i’m not an expert but i feel the gearbox doesn’t match the characteristics of the clubman

darrells clubman in op sounds like it works well in a large capacity kit as someone else mentioned shame it’s not available universally .

i’ve got a dc scootronics stator an regulator can’t fault them better than the bgm stator, that wandered and wouldn't time up bgm dc reg failed or didn’t work from the off so changed after 300 miles

thanks for tip about place for reboring,

for me communication is golden if there’s an issue delay or increase in cost i’m generally more accepting of it if told about it .
the only scooter place i’ve experienced this with is rob miller at simply retro .built my tv175 motor on time under budget and let me know the 175 piston was incorrect well before time if he wasn’t so busy i might have used him to sort things out
coaster

Given your location, its worth baring in mind that there are highly renowned scooter workshops a LOT closer to home than the one that did your engine. Jarv at Lambretta Rehab in Wymondham gets my unreserverved recommendation and has experience with GT kits and even closer for you is Steve Last in Felixstowe
wintermod65

i’m from Norwich originally so know of Jarv , just another very busy chap.
i wanted my Tv3 ready for an event , i contacted many places inc some local Rob was the the only one who said he would do it in the timescale.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information