Daily touring mileage

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I'm planning a trip for next year (hopefully!) touring on my scoot in Europe. What would be a reasonable daily mileage? Assuming getting lost, enjoying the nice bits and taking it easy.
Lambretta Li 175, avoiding motorways and the like.

I'm guessing about 300 miles maximum in 6-8 hours riding. Would that be reasonable?
What should I use as a daily average for booking accommodation?
sparklymarkly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Speaking from personal experience I would say 300 miles a day is too much on a Lambretta.
Have done many Euro trips on my 1000cc Honda and 300 miles a day on that was hard going (and that had a comfy seat!).
You won’t see very much and would spend all day every day just riding from place to place.
I’d lower it to 200 a day and enjoy the ride more, stop and see places and you’ll have a better time. Just my opinion but hope it helps.
coaster

300 miles per day is doable on a Lambretta but not enjoyable. You'd also need to factor in time for regular breaks so closer to 10 hours or more. I travelled with a mate to the Italian Euro meeting in Adria a few years ago, over 2k miles each way and we were using motorways a lot of the time. I'd say 150 miles per day would be more than enough eapecially if you are sightseeing rather than sprinting from A to B. I find that my arse can only stand about an hour between stops :?
Shaunbond

Never done Europe, but we did just over 1200 miles in 5 days around Scotland. Days where, roughly, 400, 250, 250, 130, 200. Day one was crap, mostly motorway and fast roads, days 2 & 3 were excellent, lots of single track roads and a ferry. Day 4 brilliant, quiet A roads and two ferry's. Day 5, split lovely sweeping roads and 100ish miles on the motorway.

Every day was long, I'd recommend less miles and enjoy as many stops as you need, 150-200 would be my sweet spot.

All depends on what you want from the trip really, I enjoy riding so other than some of day 1, It was all fantastic. Do that you feel comfortable and don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself to do too much

Shaun
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
steveg

I've done quite a lot of long distance touring (mostly in groups) and am usually happy aiming for between 180-220 a day. Ideally leave by 10 and get to your destination by 5 (it happens once in a while). More typically in a group it's leave when you can (if it's before 12 you're doing well) and get there by around 6.30 on a good day 8 on a bad one.
I've done a few days of between 350-450 miles out of necessity, but never really enjoyed them.
Enjoy the ride and the places you see along the way
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

150 - 200 is easily achievable and you can take in a few sights and have a long lunch. If you want to simply get from A to B then 250 - 300 would be my maximum for continuous days of travel.

A rule of thumb is covering 50 miles in an hour including a quick fill up. Obviously country roads are slower and motorways are quicker.

I suppose another question could be: "How long in a day do you want to be riding?"
Lambretta67
Main scooter: Lambretta L.I. 200 special

I used to ride from Newbury to Newquay a lot. Its about 230miles. But I used to knackered when I got there. I reckon about 150miles is good but saying that I have travelled further to rallies.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Around the 200 miles a day mark is comfortable if doing this on multiple consecutive days, 250 miles tops in my opinion. You could push more if only 1 or 2 days.

I find you tend to average around 40mph when factoring in traffic, fuel stops, etc. so 200 miles equates to 5 hours in the saddle which is enough for 1 day.
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

Bigger the group the lower the mileages.
I'd say 300 is way too much even for solo, only takes one technical hitch and a bit of bad weather to make it a day from hell. 250 max for me solo nowadays and 200 if there's only 2 or 3 any more in the group and you'll be struggling to get over 150 without issues. Ideally plan a couple of nights in one place and/or a few shorter days to take it easy, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the scenery. No fun in having to rush everywhere for the whole holiday.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

bear in mind as well, on a std tank you're doing 50 miles or so before you hit reserve so even a 200 mile day is probably 4 fuel stops
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information