12ps Barrel

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Hotdog

Hi, looking at these PX200 barrels advertised as 12ps (mostly from German shops), are they really 2.5-3hp over a standard barrel ! Has anyone used one and had it dynoed ?
gaz_powell

All the 12ps ones I've seen are genuine piaggio or BGM, theyve got thick rings, I think the difference is over the Indian shite that you see for 60 quid with badly cast ports etc.

Foir me they are just decent barrels/pistons in the sea of crap now available.

Be interesting to put one on a stock bike and see what you get

Take one and tweek it !!
Shaunbond

Maybe a good base for a HB Stage 4 tune.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
brynt
Main scooter: Vespa125TS

There is an artical in an old issue of Scootering that use a BGM cylinder as a starting point for a Pro Porting tune.

https://s265.photobucket.com/user/1gadg ... 1.jpg.html
coaster

gaz_powell wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm.......I think the difference is over the Indian shite that you see for 60 quid with badly cast ports etc
Possibly a sweeping statement Gaz, I bought a pattern LML 150 5 port reedvalve cylinder a few years ago from an Indian dealer, it cost £24.99 for the barrel and piston (no head) and £24.99 shipping. It arrived in under a week and the quality was amazing, ports all nicely finished and far better than either of the GT barrels I hgave had. Slight concerns about the quality of the unknoiwn brand piston have so far proved unfounded although not many miles logged up yet. Some of the other stuff I had to buy for it was shite though :(
gaz_powell

coaster wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 am
gaz_powell wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm.......I think the difference is over the Indian shite that you see for 60 quid with badly cast ports etc
Possibly a sweeping statement Gaz, I bought a pattern LML 150 5 port reedvalve cylinder a few years ago from an Indian dealer, it cost £24.99 for the barrel and piston (no head) and £24.99 shipping. It arrived in under a week and the quality was amazing, ports all nicely finished and far better than either of the GT barrels I hgave had. Slight concerns about the quality of the unknoiwn brand piston have so far proved unfounded although not many miles logged up yet. Some of the other stuff I had to buy for it was shite though :(
Was only referring to the Indian/far easy produced P2 kits I have had through my hands, to get them working properly they needed loads of works on the ports, the alloy ones that appeared had the liners off true, the bore clearance was terrible, piston ports were undersized.
The barrels compared to Piaggio (and probably BGM) are worlds apart.

Ive bought plenty LML stuff and found it to be generally half decent, just doing a reed conversion on some P2 casing using the LML reedblock and a home made convertor/spacer - to utilise an SI carb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information