Complete Cable sets

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
pdubs

In a moment of madness, I bought a 74 Jet, 25 years after I last had a scooter.
It's been sitting for a lot of years and I'm planning on getting back into running order. (eventually)

All the rubber items have perished and I"m ordering replacements. I was looking the cables and got a bit of a surprise. I'm sure they used to be about a quid each but now I see I could spend $60 on a set of SIP Torsion free cables.
Most of the teflon coated cable sets seem to be coming in around the $36 - $39 mark.

Any reason to spend the extra ?
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

I use the Mb ones in mine the aircraft grade cables not cheap like you say but are smooth in use as for lasting they have been in @12 months and done a fair few miles , all good so far , the scooter restorations friction free ones are good as well and a bit cheaper
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Either buy cheap ones and keep them well lubricated with light oil such as 3 in 1, or buy the lined ones. My personal opinion is that cables are cables and back in the day people travelled thousands of miles using basic cables. You're more likely to have a spare if you by the cheap ones!

Whatever you do, don't lubricate the lined ones with oil (I'm guessing you can use silicon spray?) - the oil makes the linings swell which makes them harder to use. Or at least it did on the ones I had. And don't try pulling a frayed cable through either - it can jam on the lining and pull the whole lot out. As I found out.

The important thing is the casing rather than the inner - make sure it's formed from square section wire, rather round section section wire which is more or less a spring.

Personally, I buy the cheap ones and keep them lubricated. Li sets are longer than GP sets. Or they should be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information