not another ignition question!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

nick b wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:56 pm there is an article by anthony tambs in the march/april scooter nova magazine that explained exactly why i personally was have trouble keeping charge with a wassell regulator it was a eureka momement for me as it has been driving me mad after buying 2 batteries and 2 wassells with no improvement he recommends the 5 pin piaggio as the best option as it has a separate wire [5th pin] to the battery which is totally independent good luck with the rebuild
isnt the 5 pin both ac and dc supply? is a 4 pin wassel is full wave rectified/regulated dc supply?
C’est la vie
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

i only have a full dc so iam not totally sure but in his article he talked about him adding a 5th wire to a wassell but said the 5 pin was the way to go
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

holty wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 am when I converted mine to dc I used my existing ac bgm stator and converted it to dc by removing the earth tag from the last lighting coil and added an extra wire to the end I disconnected which then joins to the wassel, I think I bought a bgm wassel as well and its never had a flat battery, I run an Anthony tambs ignition off the battery direct so I don't use the internal ignition coil or pick up, ive got an external pick up, mine also has an electric water pump as its got a watercooled cylinder fitted, my flywheel is just an indian gp flywheel which I have lightened.
This is a really good conversion and every lambretta I own gets this it. Only step up is to use 3 phase system but that's tricky for the moment.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why lambretta folk talk about "wassell"; it's just a regular/rectifier and there are many manufacturers around. I think i have honda ones on my 2 current lambrettas.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

The full DC wassel conversion with the extra wire added to the stator is great, if you cant solder by a BGM or whoever is doing them at the moment. The output going to your Brown feed will be over 13.5VDc running so simply connect a Battery to the Brown and it will be trickle charged. You do need to have an OFF switch or the battery I'm told will discharge over time in the shed. I use a standard key ignition switch Off key out ignition green shorted to ground as a kill. next click green not shorted so can start, next click lights on engine running or not, all accessories like digital speedo sat nav charger are only on with the lights. I don't have a sidelights only position all or nothing as I only ride lights on. Only had problems with the battery once as I left the lights on in the shed and the burglar alarm battery's I have always used don't like to recharge when totally flat. 1 pathfinder lamp is 50W by itself (I have a LED one in mine) more than the whole bike used in the old days. Its still down to filling a bucket with a trickle feed with a hole in the bottom, bigger hole (more lights) verses a bigger bucket (battery) and speed driven is why No one can tell you how long you can ride with all your pathfinders on. A must fit for me and yes the Vape DC system looks to be the first decent contender. Taken 10 years. :mrgreen:
YAMLAM

can i ask are what stator/flywheel cdi you have been running?

Flywheel is Indian , machined downto about 2KG, Stator is also indian, rewired for wassell as per link in my first post. CDi is a Ducati.
when AF first brought out the electronic conversion ,i purchased one ,it was only available in the DC version at first , this came with the 5 pin Reg. My battery went flat after a couple of days if the Scoot wasnt used. AF then suggested a lever swith be fitted to isolate the battery , this i mouned in the back of the toolbox, but was a faff having to remember to open the toolbox remove all my tools,oil,etc to turn it on / off.
not much later thay brought out the Ac version ,which i still run today in my TS1.My other has the wassell conversion and as i said , never had a battery problem.
win or lose have a booze
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information