not another ignition question!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
daveLA

sorry all i have researched this for hours and just when i think im getting it something else gets thrown in, i am currently restoring an SX150 which came to me in bits, the frame has the battery tray, it also came with a fair few new casa and scootopia parts, there is a DC loom, DC ignition switch and a Wassel no ignition system, from what i have read no battery is AC setup and a DC is AC to the lighting circuit on a standard setup, i do want to add pathfinders and i know i can do this direct from the battery which is being trickle charged, i have seen varying opinions on how long the battery would last and i think i would prefer to make use of the wassel and go down the full dc route, the simplest way seems to me to be buy the dc bgm stator/flywhhel etc connect the two yellow wires from the stator straight to the two yellows on the wassel job done! but is this the best way/choice? i know this question is probably based on peoples own opinions and experiences but any advise will and is appreciated, thanks dave
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

i have had trouble with the wassell it drains the battery when not in use iam changing to a 5 pin regulator
firekdp

If you've got the money, go for the DC Vape system. If not go Indian type stator, but stick with full wave if pathfinders fitted.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

ive got the wassel conversion on one of mine and it works very well, you cannot better a dc system with a battery, good lights good horn and power for other things as well, you might find pathfinders could drain the battery if you ride with them on, if you can change the bulbs in them to led bulbs it will reduce the load on the battery.
nick b

you need 5 pins to run a dc properly wassell has only 4 and doesnt have an independent battery wire i have had 2 and it turns out the are the problem ,they are only good if it is your everyday transport
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

nick b wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:43 pm you need 5 pins to run a dc properly wassell has only 4 and doesnt have an independent battery wire i have had 2 and it turns out the are the problem ,they are only good if it is your everyday transport
please explain "5 pins to run a dc properly" i dont understand
C’est la vie
YAMLAM

ive been running the DCwassell conversion since reading all about it here:-/www.scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14360
mines been on since 2011, still using the same barrey, never gone flat even laid up for a while.
win or lose have a booze
daveLA

hi lads, firstly thanks for all replies, it so confusing aint it? the more i look into this the more i get confused, its probably me! no thats incorrect it definitely is me! can i go through the replies one by one? and maybe ask a follow up question to each, you will have to forgive my dumbness electrics are not my strong point but im not at total idiot err again thats incorrect i am i really am...
hi ya nick b, thanks for your help re draining the battery do you know how the 5pin reg helps/is better? thanks
hi firedkp, thanks for your help, the vape system is one i have not looked at, do you know if i use this with a wassel or the reg supplied? and when you say stick with a full wave errr help please lol
hi holty, phew one i kinda understand, a vote for the wassel and thanks for the tip about leds!
hi yamlam thank you for your post, another vote for the wassel, can i ask are what stator/flywheel cdi you have been running?

again thanks all dave
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

when I converted mine to dc I used my existing ac bgm stator and converted it to dc by removing the earth tag from the last lighting coil and added an extra wire to the end I disconnected which then joins to the wassel, I think I bought a bgm wassel as well and its never had a flat battery, I run an Anthony tambs ignition off the battery direct so I don't use the internal ignition coil or pick up, ive got an external pick up, mine also has an electric water pump as its got a watercooled cylinder fitted, my flywheel is just an indian gp flywheel which I have lightened.
nick b

there is an article by anthony tambs in the march/april scooter nova magazine that explained exactly why i personally was have trouble keeping charge with a wassell regulator it was a eureka momement for me as it has been driving me mad after buying 2 batteries and 2 wassells with no improvement he recommends the 5 pin piaggio as the best option as it has a separate wire [5th pin] to the battery which is totally independent good luck with the rebuild
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information