Smiths Speedo Recalibration

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

Apologies if this has come up before. I did search the forum and didn't see anything. I've got a Smiths Speedo (Indian replica) and wondering if anyone knows where I can get it recalibrated for 10 inch wheel. I don't mind if I have to post it overseas. Everything I've read on these Speedos seems incredibly complicated. I've got a custom made headset primed and ready to paint. The speedo fits well and really looks the part, but I would like it to be somewhere near accurate in use!! Also any tips on the drive cable connection to the front hub would be useful.
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

remove the bottom threaded part & use a std lambretta type & these will work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedo-Cable ... 2749.l2649
Cav

Thanks for the tip re the cable connection. Anyone got any advice re calibration? There's a place in Swansea but I'm in Australia. I could post it if anyone has used them?
Cav

I'm thinking of giving up on this as it's in the too hard box. My headset has been customised and the Smiths speedo is a good fit, but not having it calibrated is a big issue. Surely someone must've had one converted or sorted. I know a few guys just bend the needle so it reads ok at a mid speed like 50mph, but this doesn't cut it for me. I'm thinking of something radical like the SIP digital conversion. Anyway one last shout for help re the Smiths !!
steveg

Cav wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:54 am I'm thinking of giving up on this as it's in the too hard box. My headset has been customised and the Smiths speedo is a good fit, but not having it calibrated is a big issue. Surely someone must've had one converted or sorted. I know a few guys just bend the needle so it reads ok at a mid speed like 50mph, but this doesn't cut it for me. I'm thinking of something radical like the SIP digital conversion. Anyway one last shout for help re the Smiths !!
Try Gaggs in Nottingham www.gaggs.co.uk
Cav

steveg wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:14 pm
Cav wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:54 am I'm thinking of giving up on this as it's in the too hard box. My headset has been customised and the Smiths speedo is a good fit, but not having it calibrated is a big issue. Surely someone must've had one converted or sorted. I know a few guys just bend the needle so it reads ok at a mid speed like 50mph, but this doesn't cut it for me. I'm thinking of something radical like the SIP digital conversion. Anyway one last shout for help re the Smiths !!
Thanks will give them a try.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Cav wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:36 am
steveg wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:14 pm
Thanks will give them a try.

hi you posted on my thread about my gt240 problems asking about smiths speedos ,

mine is an original 1960s speedo and was serviced by gaggs in nottinngham mine is yet to be calibrated for 10 inch wheels costs around £55 , there is another place also in nottingham called chronometric instrument services , you could try they gave me good advice an were helpful .

not sure about recalibrating the remade ones but i went for an original as they havd a lower profile so dont stick up out of your headset top like a dalek !
Cav

Many thanks mate. The repro is pretty good and I believe they are made to original specs as part of the Royal Enfield deal, but as with Indian Lambretta, probably not to the same grade as originals. Mine looks good in the customised headset, but I really need it to work quite accurately. Thanks again.
gaz_powell

Don't give up! I used 120mph one it was a fair bit out. I swapped to a 90mph one and it's about right on my S2, certainly no worse than a lambretta speedo and much better to watch!
Demonstrating that they must be the same speedo with a different face.
These remade ones are basic inside and not like original Smiths Chronometeric.
gaz_powell

Why not pop on a small battery powered rev counter to work with speedo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information