It was 50 years ago today....

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

3 Dec 1969 on my way to Central Bristol as a 17 year old on my LI150 S3. Dark night; light rain and the rush hour- what could possibly go wrong??

Apart from the white Morris 1000 Van that decided to overtake the waiting traffic on the opposite side without checking who was inbound- me.

Result a "Head on" with the headstock touching the seat and me flying over said van into the road.

Seems like yesterday- can recall it with clarity.

Did it put me off? No.

Drive safely people

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Sounds like it was a nasty one Chris. Any serious injuries, or were you relatively lucky? Guess scooter went to the great scooter graveyard in the sky!
bristolmod

smashed my knee up which still troubles me to this day. The scooter was a write off but the Police who attended were very good- certainly didn't take the other guys side and did him for DWDC and Attention. The insurance paid me out £45 for the Scooter and £25 for my knee (times have changed!!). I sold the bits- engine £8 and the bent frame for 50p!! Happy days.
Scootering since 1968.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Lol! Somebody got a bargain with frame! Still, you could have four or five pints with ten bob back in 69!😁 Happy days indeed!
jonzo172

It's a bad time of the year to be on two wheels... dark mornings and nights, peoples minds seem to be elsewhere (Christmas), wet glaring roads and dirty visors.
Not great at all, you have to be super attentive.
a.j

Jan 11th 1999. 6pm. Got side swiped by some blind prick coming out of his work. Legshields ended up near the toolbox & me 20 yards down the road holding my shinbone in my hand.
YAMLAM

21 years ago , pedestrian waked out in front of me , hit left hand legshield ,spun them up in the air and landed on their head, i ended up on the opposite side of the road in the gutter.
they died later that nightscoot empounded, police taped interview ,coriners court.
accidental death the verdict , hardest day of my life.
thats when you find out how good your insurance cover is.
win or lose have a booze
bristolmod

YAMLAM wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:52 pm 21 years ago , pedestrian waked out in front of me , hit left hand legshield ,spun them up in the air and landed on their head, i ended up on the opposite side of the road in the gutter.
they died later that nightscoot empounded, police taped interview ,coriners court.
accidental death the verdict , hardest day of my life.
thats when you find out how good your insurance cover is.
and if you've modded it and not told your Insurance Company, or kept it as a "125" when its anything above, you are fooked. Well and truly. Your Ins Company will still pay out to 3rd Parties- but will claim it back from you one way or another.
Scootering since 1968.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information