Clubman on GT186 - Ex Box?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Hughieboy
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S2 GT186

Everything points to the Franspeed Race.... how are they for ground clearance? Is that the same as a JL4? Seems to be limited suppliers...
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

I've always had a Clubman or equivalent. I had a genuine Ancilotti in my very early days. When the stainless performance pipes started to become very popular and affordable, I tried a ScootRS perf pipe (about 14 years ago) and it was ok but no better than an Indian Clubman. But this year I bought a used Casa performance pipe. Local guy was selling it so I went round and snapped it up there and then. I have to say it's been a revelation. Sooooo revvy and incredibly wide power band. This is currently on an SX 200 engine with 30mm Del Orto. I have been genuinely surprised at the difference this pipe has made. It feels like each gear has been lengthened massively.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Hughieboy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 pm Is the Franspeed Race noisy... (might be a daft question!)
Not as noisy as my baffleless BGM or a Gori. I quite like a loud exhaust though, helps to warn other road users of your presence but I wouldn't say it is any more noisy than any other expansion out there, haven't felt the need to wear ear plugs whilst riding
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Hughieboy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:55 am Everything points to the Franspeed Race.... how are they for ground clearance? Is that the same as a JL4? Seems to be limited suppliers...
Not great for ground clearance, you need to be careful over speed bumps but I've only caught mine once in over 12k miles. They are very similar to the JL4 as far as I am aware. Andy Francis is the man to go to for Franspeed pipes
Hughieboy

I looked at his website for info but it’s not working.... difficult one. It’s partially the noise and the grounding out I was hoping to get away from by removing the TSR. But hopefully not at the expense of performance. So I guess it’s either fit a quality Clubman and sacrifice some power and performance on the top end or shell out for a Franspeed for something a bit better than what I have and with better fit.

Not an easy decision, need to do something though as I’ve had to fit the TSR angling slightly away towards the back to clear my fat S2 side panels and extend the support bracket with a long bolt and extra bobbin. Looks like a Meccano set..... :?

Would be great to know how differently it would ride with a Clubman but I guess the only way to find out is to buy one and try it!
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I ran a bgm clubman on my gt186 in standard and then tuned form and I liked both. Although once tuned I preferred it with a Jl3 curly, but that's not what you're asking.

I have an avanti ex box on my TS1 which goes really well and has never grounded.
coaster

I've been running a BGM Mk3 Clubman on my GT240 for about 4 years now having had mostly expantions on other enginers (Avanti, TS1, Mugello) and can say that it runs very well through the gears with a smooth flat power curve and tops out about 75mph. Ive never had any over heating problems with it but this year fitted an EGT and was amazed to see temps between 700-800 degrees :o AS the CHT was reading around 200 degrees atbthe time Im putting it down to the previously mentioned 'gassing' effect.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

i have just done running in mileage on my GT 240 with Gt Casings and BGM v4 clubman(had mine ceramic coated ) , so about a 1000 miles cant be sure exactly as sip speedo cuts out but thats another story!,
ive had seizure issues with the kit , not at top end but when engine tries to pull 4th gear round 45-50mph , hills especially although not too many big ones in suffolk, have caused the issue to be highlighted , ive been running an Sx200/tv 175 gearing as was recommended 4.8.1 ratio but running in with it has been an experience i wouldnt want to go through again . when the Sip speedo came on i noticed temp go up around 30 C when got to hill or trying to pull 4th . i havent used the scooter since coming home from Mersea island as dont want an expensive blow up . hoping to take the scooter back to the Restorer to find out the cause next week . but confidence in the kit has taken a nose dive.
ive had people say its the ignition/ Carb/ Exhaust thats the problem although none have seen the scooter,

engine was built using new components through out apart from 2 gearbox cogs and Xmas tree and put together by a restorer experienced with GT products.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

coaster wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:27 am I've been running a BGM Mk3 Clubman on my GT240 for about 4 years now having had mostly expantions on other enginers (Avanti, TS1, Mugello) and can say that it runs very well through the gears with a smooth flat power curve and tops out about 75mph. Ive never had any over heating problems with it but this year fitted an EGT and was amazed to see temps between 700-800 degrees :o AS the CHT was reading around 200 degrees atbthe time Im putting it down to the previously mentioned 'gassing' effect.
Jesus wept!! Cht 200 degrees c? Egt 800 with temperatures like that you’re sure to kill it to death in a very short space of time. Can you not get someone to replace the stinger with something around 30mm id? Definitely worth it.
Hughieboy

wintermod65 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:33 pm i have just done running in mileage on my GT 240 with Gt Casings and BGM v4 clubman(had mine ceramic coated ) , so about a 1000 miles cant be sure exactly as sip speedo cuts out but thats another story!,
ive had seizure issues with the kit , not at top end but when engine tries to pull 4th gear round 45-50mph , hills especially although not too many big ones in suffolk, have caused the issue to be highlighted , ive been running an Sx200/tv 175 gearing as was recommended 4.8.1 ratio but running in with it has been an experience i wouldnt want to go through again . when the Sip speedo came on i noticed temp go up around 30 C when got to hill or trying to pull 4th . i havent used the scooter since coming home from Mersea island as dont want an expensive blow up . hoping to take the scooter back to the Restorer to find out the cause next week . but confidence in the kit has taken a nose dive.
ive had people say its the ignition/ Carb/ Exhaust thats the problem although none have seen the scooter,

engine was built using new components through out apart from 2 gearbox cogs and Xmas tree and put together by a restorer experienced with GT products.
Blimey! I’m no expert, hence asking advice on here but that’s not the first time I’ve heard about over heating issues with the BGM pipes, maybe that’s the cause of your seizures? Much as I’m not fond of the fit and finish (or noise) from my TSR I’ve had no heat issues. I think I would check the advance on the timing as well, make sure it’s not too far advanced?

Sounds like Coaster might be also having heat issues to do with the BGM exhaust? Is this be cause the kits a reed valve induction that they need a freer flowing exhaust/bigger tailpipe?

In which case I guess that limits it to AF big bore or Ex Box? Might just end up plumping for a different expansion at this rate, it’s just they’re noisy and expensive (just forced out for the kit, new clutch, new crank, etc.... why stop now! :shock: )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information