Running in

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

Always thought there's a bit of smoke and mirrors around the whole running in business. On the race track no one runs in. It gets fixed and then wanged. I get the point about about potential small filings or burrs being present, but really? in this modern era where we have a higher level of knowledge and with the technology improvements? I've never really run anything in properly and I've been playing with Lambrettas since 1973. An older guy said to me back in the old days "How come they didn't run in the Apollo rocket to the moon", not the same thing of course, but an interesting point. This is a true story. In 1974 a mate of mine picked a brand new Jet 200. A bunch of us went with him. He was given the usual cautionary tale of running in , etc. Of course he completely ignored it. Off we went and he couldn't wait to put it through it's paces. Top speed of 66mph out of the box, first day. He rode it hard and it never missed a beat. Two Summers and Winters and that Scooter went well. Only issue he had was a couple of broken cables.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Thanks all, food for thought.

I've just got my RT barrel back after a replate - I ran it in for about 500 first time round keeping it below about 50 and not labouring it.

Might be a little less cautious this time.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information