Engine Cutting Out

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

Hi, when i'm slowing down and even before i have come to a stop the engine cuts out.
This has happened on two journeys a few weeks apart and has happened for the length of the journeys every time slow down or stop.
Anyone got any ideas why this might happen please.
Scoot is an 07 standard PX125.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

pooliepfr wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:58 pm Hi, when i'm slowing down and even before i have come to a stop the engine cuts out.
This has happened on two journeys a few weeks apart and has happened for the length of the journeys every time slow down or stop.
Anyone got any ideas why this might happen please.
Scoot is an 07 standard PX125.
might be a loose carb on the engine body just might need a quick tighten up
the man don't give a f@@k
Daggs

If it was a Lambretta, I would suggest the Pilot jet was blocked.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

That could be anything! I'd raise the tickover a bit by twisting the screw that points upwards on the top of the carb box. See if it helps. I bet thats your problem. If not, check that the ht lead hasn't loosened from the sparkplug cap or the cdi box. Change the sparkplug but check the colour of the one your replacing. Try running with the fuel cap loose. A fuel hose that's too long will have the scooter cutting out but starting up fine after a very short time. As mentioned earlier, maybe the pilot jet is slightly blocked. Remove and clean or just spray carb cleaner or compressed air through all the jets and every hole in the carb. Clean the airfilter and the filter in the carb that sits under the cap held by a screw on the top of the carb if you haven't done it recently. Does the scooter need alot of kicks to start from cold? If so, it might need new rings. All simple stuff. Best of luck with it!
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

as said above, could be anything.....another option is a clogged air filter, causing it to flood. clean the filter or leave it off (temporary) and see how it goes.
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

Thanks all, plenty for me to check there.
I should also add that I use my scooter every day and this has only happened twice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information