Tyre Choices

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

The best tyres I,v ever had on a Scooter were Yokohama Profires, grip was fantastic, filled me with confidence every time out no matter what the weather, worst I,v had lately are S1's, I just couldn't cope with them tracking white lines, but dont dismiss S83's as an allrounder, they are a lot better than they look.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Doom Patrol wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm
Burnside wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 pmI'm on my 2nd set of City Grip Winters, I like them, decent grip in all weathers (I ride all year round) and get up to 3k miles on the rear.
That is good. You're not five stone soaking wet are you? :lol:
:lol: If only, 6'3" and 16 stone
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

pooliepfr wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am I'm glad this topic has popped up.
I'm a brand new rider, got a PX125, scoot has got Michelin tyres. I'm using the scooter in all weathers for going to work. I was wondering which tyres would be best. That tracking thing when riding is a pain especially as i'm still pretty much learning to ride. I didn't know tyres could affect that so definitely would like something that will help eliminate even if just a little.
I would recommend Michelin City Grip Winters, great all weather tyre with decent wear rate
gunnerdaz
Main scooter: Lambretta Silver Special TS1

I'm using Heidenau K58. I've been very impressed with them.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

1000k on the WAW ride on the City Grip Winters in some fairly hefty rain on occasions - no complaints
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Scooterdude wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 pm
GTFOMWSC wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:15 pm
Scooterdude wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 am

I’ve switched from scootsmart over to Heidenau k80sr, similar looking tread but seems a bit better in the wet plus last a lot longer.
i was looking for different ones as i'm using scootsmarts on 2 of mine,they've worn pretty quickly imho i've also noticed that they are pretty crap when cold but once warmed up did grip well.They were extremely good in the terrential downpour coming back from IOW and on the way to Llandudno the other year,but wewre very dodgy in damp conditions cold(slid a couple of times).Think i'll try the k80's as i'm due to change the rear one yet again after only 800 miles.
800 miles ffs, as a comparison I’ve just done just over 1500 miles on a new k80sr and I’d say it’s probably about half worn.
Gonna open up this can of worms again due to a wearing issue on the conti twists.I replaced one on a scoot i use rarely so this was late november 2017 so a couple of years old but not many miles.Saturday saw me heading off up to east mids airport for BSSO AGM so thought i'd have a ride up as only 35 miles up the motorway.Anyway cut it short i had a rear wheel blow out at 60mph on it that meant a trip in the ambulance to A&E and what might be a twisted frame on the scoot.So as i'm being interviewed by police i admitted doing 60 in a 50 zone but he'd spoken to someone(mate who picked up the scoot) that the rear tyre was bald hence it blew,now that had me a bit confused as i knew i hadn't done many miles on it.So checked my MOTs with all the mileage on them ,knowing i'd fitted 6 months into 2017's cycle it had only done 986 miles since new estimate 300 this year max that's 1200 miles and it was virtually to the wire.That is shameful imho tbh i hadn't looked at the tread as i knew i hadn't do much on it but that's all you get out of the tyre 1200 miles ffs and i'd say it must of been below the legal tread limit for 450 of those so i'd steer clear of conti twists only for wear purposes as it handled fine.Don't need any more ambulance rides a my age 10 mins later and this would of happened on the M1 and i doubt i'd be writing this now tbh.
the man don't give a f@@k
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Bad news with regards the blowout and twisted frame.
But at least your still here and hopefully not too hurt.
Am sure you will sort the scooter.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Ouch! Glad to hear you lived to fight another day. Must admit I've run Conti Twist tyres and always thought they were a good compromise between grip and wear. They seem to have lasted well enough in any case. The trouble is though that they can change the source of a tyres manufacture sometimes, so one set might last well and the others not. Even if they are otherwise identical. Look at all the trouble there was with the Michelin S1's when they changed production to the far east. And they were still crap. :lol:
GTFOMWSC

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:15 pm Bad news with regards the blowout and twisted frame.
But at least your still here and hopefully not too hurt.
Am sure you will sort the scooter.
very true has given me 2nd thoughts about motorways tbh as at 70mph you have no chance and neither does the vehicle behind you to stop to avoid you lying in the lane.It never worried me riding on a motorway before but now i'm not so keen.
GTFOMWSC

Doom Patrol wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:29 pm Ouch! Glad to hear you lived to fight another day. Must admit I've run Conti Twist tyres and always thought they were a good compromise between grip and wear. They seem to have lasted well enough in any case. The trouble is though that they can change the source of a tyres manufacture sometimes, so one set might last well and the others not. Even if they are otherwise identical. Look at all the trouble there was with the Michelin S1's when they changed production to the far east. And they were still crap. :lol:
yeah a bit battered and bruised but they thought i'd fractured my ankle at first so was in the old plaster cast for 1 day.You could be right on the conti's the front has plenty of tread left(not unexpected as it is the front) irony is the spare is brand new sitting on the back!!.Guess moto is check the tyres every bloody time i go out as have no idea how long they now last.Makes you wonder that those that went out to Polski land last year based on the mileage i just got you'd need to take 3 spare wheels to get there and back(or just the tyres and hope to find a tyre fitter on the way) not ideal tyres for any distance travelling really.Even if you go with a 1500 mile trye you couldn't do a euro rally without at least 1 change.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information