PX Rear Indicators

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

Hi, i'm having issues with my rear indicators. From time to time both will stop working. I can usually tell when they are playing up because the indicator light on the headset/speedo flashes like crazy rather than just on and off in time with the indicators.
It's been to the garage twice, but both times they have been working when i get there and they can't find the fault.
I believe it to be a trapped wire somewhere but how would this only affect the rear indicators and not the front?
Do you think i should get them re-wired as being a brand new rider i'm a little paranoid about riding when they are out.

Big thanks for any advice,
Simon
l111amo
Main scooter: Gp186

Could be the pin contact on the panels or the earth( spring tags)
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Do they both go at once or is it some times one or the other?

They're notorious for poor connections on the pins that connect through the panels. Make sure the contacts are clean inside and out and that the springs are doing their job properly. Push a screwdriver in the hole and give the contact a little scrape.

When they've failed simply try take the panel off and reseat it and see if that solves it -that'll at least let you know if that is the issue.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
pooliepfr

Hi, it's always both at the same time, never just one.
Toot-oasc

I'd check the wire connections on the back of the indicator switch on the headset. I've had experience of these 'stretching' and coming away from the solder (which then touch again resulting in the indicators working sometimes but not all the time).

It could be the wires to the connections behind the horn cast are caught or trapped on something, then when you turn the headset it is pulling on the soldered connections to the back of the indicator switch?
pooliepfr

Toot-oasc wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:25 pm I'd check the wire connections on the back of the indicator switch on the headset. I've had experience of these 'stretching' and coming away from the solder (which then touch again resulting in the indicators working sometimes but not all the time).

It could be the wires to the connections behind the horn cast are caught or trapped on something, then when you turn the headset it is pulling on the soldered connections to the back of the indicator switch?
Thanks. I'll be trying my hand at removing and checking the wires from the indicator switch this weekend.
rosscla

Both going at the same time would suggest a problem in the common feed rather than the connectors on the panels. Start where it's easiest to check, headset off, switch and behind the horncast.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
firekdp

Are they AC indicators?
When you say, "the headset indicator flashes like crazy", does it actually go out, or just alternate in brightness?
pooliepfr

firekdp wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:42 am Are they AC indicators?
When you say, "the headset indicator flashes like crazy", does it actually go out, or just alternate in brightness?
Not sure if they're AC, it's a 2007 PX.
When i say the headset indicator i mean the light next to speedo that lets you know the indicators are switched on.
firekdp

pooliepfr wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am When i say the headset indicator i mean the light next to speedo that lets you know the indicators are switched on.
Yes, that's the one I'm asking about.
If your indicators normally alternate front to back (never on at the same time), you have an AC indicator system. If back and front flash at the same time it's DC.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information