On a mission to combat noise

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

My LiS 185 must be the noisiest scoot out there . Absolutely everything seems to buzz and rattle and almost drowns out the noise of the 42mm Clubman ...well ok not that bad... :lol:

The stand seems to be the worst culprit . its an aftermarket chrome jobbie and looks the nutts but the blasted thing is so loose that it makes a helluva racket.

Has anyone got any tips to pass on that might quieten this item
Muttley McLadd

Tighten it up..?
CakeAndArseParty
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

When off the stand, does it have the rubber bump stop on the small spigot to prevent it from rattling against the underside of the runner board? Do you have the strengthening plates between the V of the centre stand brace? Is the stand spring tensioned correctly or has it stretched. Do you have the rubber grommets between all metal surfaces, ie. runner boards to frame legs, between legshields and frame struts, etc. Is you tool box door tight when locked or is it loose and rattles? All these are common noise issues.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
johnny650

dapper wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am When off the stand, does it have the rubber bump stop on the small spigot to prevent it from rattling against the underside of the runner board? Do you have the strengthening plates between the V of the centre stand brace? Is the stand spring tensioned correctly or has it stretched. Do you have the rubber grommets between all metal surfaces, ie. runner boards to frame legs, between legshields and frame struts, etc. Is you tool box door tight when locked or is it loose and rattles? All these are common noise issues.
No it doesn't actually . Its an aftermarket piece of junk with no stop spigot.
Mind you I haven't got rear floorboards fitted either so that doesn't help.

The new spring is tensioned as it should be but due to the absence of a stop and rear floorboards it is a little loose when up.

There is a lot of play between the brackets and the shaft also , so today I'll put a guage on the original stand and compare the diameter of the two.

I guess I'm just going to have devise some sort of lashup involving bracket sleeves or bushes and some rubber blocks . perhaps some rubber petrol blocks might be useful.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Because of the original welds getting weak on my SX & the whole thing leaning @ a jaunty angle, I tried to devise an interim repair not involving a strip down & welding.

(This had the knock-on effect of limiting the space available for the stand to rotate, so it is now stiff, but doesn’t rattle).

I had some kitchen wall cabinet mounting rail left over which I cut to fit & align with the existing frame stand member holes & mounted it so that the horizontal part of the stand would run in the ‘U’ section.

I used countersink screws (M8, I think) with loads of Waxoyl & fixed it on.

It pulled the frame stand cross members in line & is amazingly strong.
johnny650

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 pm Because of the original welds getting weak on my SX & the whole thing leaning @ a jaunty angle, I tried to devise an interim repair not involving a strip down & welding.

(This had the knock-on effect of limiting the space available for the stand to rotate, so it is now stiff, but doesn’t rattle).

I had some kitchen wall cabinet mounting rail left over which I cut to fit & align with the existing frame stand member holes & mounted it so that the horizontal part of the stand would run in the ‘U’ section.

thanks WT No1 that sounds like an excellent solution .......pity you haven't a piccy

I jacked mine up yesterday and found that not only were the stand brackets far too large in diameter but one of the stand bracket bolts has nearly been pulled through the frame leg ....Clearly the washer that I put on wasn't large enough to spread the load so I'll need to fit some large penny washers.

I used a bungee cord to lash the stand up tightly and on a short test run almost all the noise had gone ..so I guess there is nothing for it but to jack the scoot and remove the stand and do the job properly as I should have done in the first place.

I like your suggestion and will probably do something similar ;)
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You can get load spreading plates for the stand bolts from various sources

Example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-SE ... XQBwlRUy2j
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

johnny650 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 pm Because of the original welds getting weak on my SX & the whole thing leaning @ a jaunty angle, I tried to devise an interim repair not involving a strip down & welding.

thanks WT No1 that sounds like an excellent solution .......pity you haven't a piccy

I jacked mine up yesterday and found that not only were the stand brackets far too large in diameter but one of the stand bracket bolts has nearly been pulled through the frame leg ....Clearly the washer that I put on wasn't large enough to spread the load so I'll need to fit some large penny washers.

I used a bungee cord to lash the stand up tightly and on a short test run almost all the noise had gone ..so I guess there is nothing for it but to jack the scoot and remove the stand and do the job properly as I should have done in the first place.

I like your suggestion and will probably do something similar ;)
I will try & post a picture or two :?

Whilst your stand is off, with the aid of a good vice & muscle, the stand components can be made much less sloppy as well.

In any case, the M8 screws & washers are best replaced by the high tensile built in washer type, (like the 'proper' front sprocket drive bolt) & when fitting, as you will need to 'over torque' to pull everything tight, use long cylinder head nuts to avoid stripping the thread. Those nuts, having done the job of not allowing threads to strip, can then be replaced by nyloc nuts which would otherwise have stripped.

Penny washers of a very heavy gauge are also best. Some people call them GPW (Gear Pin Washers) which may have a countersink hole, but thin washers are a waste of time :)
johnny650

rosscla wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:26 pm You can get load spreading plates for the stand bolts from various sources

Example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-SE ... XQBwlRUy2j
cheers Rosscla I knew about them but when I bolted this chrome stand and deflector on I thought shall i bother to order one up ?? .....nahhh it will be ok with a big washer
How wrong was I ?........ :lol:
johnny650

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:44 pm
I will try & post a picture or two :?

Whilst your stand is off, with the aid of a good vice & muscle, the stand components can be made much less sloppy as well.

In any case, the M8 screws & washers are best replaced by the high tensile built in washer type, (like the 'proper' front sprocket drive bolt) & when fitting, as you will need to 'over torque' to pull everything tight, use long cylinder head nuts to avoid stripping the thread. Those nuts, having done the job of not allowing threads to strip, can then be replaced by nyloc nuts which would otherwise have stripped.

Penny washers of a very heavy gauge are also best. Some people call them GPW (Gear Pin Washers) which may have a countersink hole, but thin washers are a waste of time :)
cheers WT No1 I have some 30 x 3mm washers that will do the job admirably although I may need to grind away one side to fit .

I took a closer look at the stand components and it is as you suggested the brackets that need closing up. There is a hopeless tolerance there but once again its a Indian aftermarket part so I might have guessed I'd need to do the post manufacture finishing. :roll:
I'll have to take the whole lot off again and do the job properly as I should have done in the first place lol

Thanks for your suggestions everyone ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information