Casa Kit on 6 volts?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

I know 12 volt electronic ignition is recommended, but just curious to know if anyone is running a kitted scooter, still on original 6 volt points system, and if so, does it run okay?

Reason I ask, is that I have a standard LIS 150, still on 6 volts,for which I have bought a Casa 185 kit, as I want a little more top speed. I know that I should upgrade to 12 volt, but I am reluctant to do away with the scoots originality! Suppose I should have thought it through more before I bought the kit!🤔
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Some of us prefer the originality of points ignition for reliability..... ;)

Obviously, many will suggest you change to electronic ignition, but the reason for doing so ("reliability") is beyond a joke, considering all the issues that have been reported on the Forums.

A 12 volt stator with points ignition & a nice, lightweight J range flywheel makes them a pleasure to ride. :D
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

The original Casa kit was designed for upgrading a standard bike without changing carbs pipes and keeping a fully working 6v system shouldn’t be a problem.
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

A mate of mine is running his Casa on 6v points
Runs well
Martin20

Thanks for replies guys. Think I am going to give it a go and see how she goes!🤞
Martin20

Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested!
Fitted kit on Sunday, on 6 volts, with a Dellorto 22mm carb, and an AF 42mm exhaust. Absolutely love it. Been out today, and it has transformed scoot. Flew up hills in 4th, which it struggled to get up in 3rd with old top end! Loads of low down grunt. Did not open it up fully, but feels like it will have plenty top speed for my needs.
Might upgrade clutch, as I detected a little clutch slip when kicking over. Think I will try some upgraded springs first, as corks were new last Autumn!
Happy for now!😁
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Martin20 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm I know 12 volt electronic ignition is recommended, but just curious to know if anyone is running a kitted scooter, still on original 6 volt points system, and if so, does it run okay?

Reason I ask, is that I have a standard LIS 150, still on 6 volts,for which I have bought a Casa 185 kit, as I want a little more top speed. I know that I should upgrade to 12 volt, but I am reluctant to do away with the scoots originality! Suppose I should have thought it through more before I bought the kit!🤔
I had exactly the same dilemma Martin with my LiS 150 .
Last year I fitted a cheap Indian 185cc kit with 6v OEM electrics and had all sorts of issues that drove me near insane.

Eventually I decided to go electronic and I bought and fitted a used AF mid weight LI TV SX flywheel that bolts onto the standard Li150 crank.
and a cheap indian CDI , Stator. and pickup.
I have kept the original wiring loom and just made some simple re-connections to suit the electronic stator.
Everything can simply be removed and the original stuff bolted back on.

I set the timing to 17 degrees and bluddy ell does it shift ! crikey !

The mid weight flywheel allows the engine to spin up much more quickly giving a faster throttle response and acceleration but because it isn't a lightweight jobbie it still gives plenty of engine breaking.

Currently using a 22mm jetex with 5899-2 atomiser 124 Main 45 Pilot 50 choke but I am going to need to increase the Pilot to 48 maybe 50 as it struggles on hot restarts at the mo taking 4-5 kicks when hot.
Martin20

Hi Johnny,
Nice to hear from you, and glad, after all your issues towards the end of last year, you are now up and running!

As I have mentioned in my post yesterday, really pleased with the Casa kit. I was expecting to have to go 12 volt, but, touch wood, all seems fine. Running the 22mm dellorto, with a 200 slide, 5899-2 atomiser 45 pilot, 50 choke, and 118 main!

Not sure if there is a need to 'run the kit in', so going to do plenty of local runs, up and down the gears, and no WOT, for a couple of hundred miles, just in case!

Keep well mate!
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I run a Casa 185 kit with a 22mil Scootopia carb.I run it through an undrilled airbox using an ordinary filter element.I also have a 5899 - 2 atomiser,but with a 48 pilot jet, a 50 choke and a 130 main jet.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Martin20 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:35 pm Hi Johnny,
Nice to hear from you, and glad, after all your issues towards the end of last year, you are now up and running!

As I have mentioned in my post yesterday, really pleased with the Casa kit. I was expecting to have to go 12 volt, but, touch wood, all seems fine. Running the 22mm dellorto, with a 200 slide, 5899-2 atomiser 45 pilot, 50 choke, and 118 main!

Not sure if there is a need to 'run the kit in', so going to do plenty of local runs, up and down the gears, and no WOT, for a couple of hundred miles, just in case!

Keep well mate!
cheers martin.
not been on for a while as I nearly had a mental breakdown with the blasted scoot :lol: In the end it came down to cutting out all the cheapskate Heath Robinson lashups stuff I'd done and putting in some proper components :roll:

Glad to hear that you have the kit fitted and you are pleased with the extra performance.
Sounds like a very sensible running in proceedure ...mine was very similar ,interspersed with the occasional 'Yee haw hooligan moment' :D

Are you using a 42mm Clubman or have you stayed with the standard box ? I'm finding my clubman very noisy especially as I have just a foam filter in the original air box.

If you have a camera I'd be interested to see some video of how yours is running now.
all the best Johnny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information