PHBH Carb Question

FREE tuning and maintenance info, plus links to our original tuning pages that started it all off.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

What’s the significance of the brass washer (pictured below) on PHBH carbs and Is it essential to the carburettors operation to have it in place??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Not essential. I fitted one upside down once and it took me weeks to work out why it wasn't running right. Took it out completely after advice from more knowledgeable bloke. Ran perfect and still does.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

It's an anti surge washer and its fitted for a reason.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Leave it in G... just make sure it's fitted the right way round.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Cheers lads... will go with the majority & leave it in - just have to remember which way round it went now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

The face in your photo goes upwards. Otherwise you get fuel starvation when you rag it; alright when pooling or short term WOT, like as dyno. But if you're WOT FOR a mile or so, it will empty the fuel chamber.
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

I actually don't have one fitted, never had one when I bought the scoot. Never had a problem either. 20bhp malossi 210, used long distance from time to time at a fair old speed. Just my experience
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Just to clarify the fitting of the anti-surge washer. The illustration that is on this site depicts the concave side facing downwards:

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-cate ... hbh-parts/

Click:

VIEW DIAGRAM

(Item 48)

I hope that helps, although I'm not a fan of that type of Dell'Orto. Instead of 'anti-surge washers', the designers could have better incorporated 'anti-flood overflows' which they tend to do (particuarly if trying to run a good air filter set-up without drilling a drain hole, which rather defeats the object in filtering the air......) :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information