Seat foam

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rival
Main scooter: Lambretta GP150 Italian

What's a suitable foam to use for a seat?

Old mate that made my seat used kitchen sponge or something similar and I'm sitting on the pan.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
lofty

I got some from 'efoam' at www.efoam.co.uk and used the 'severe very firm' grade..

Ive just refoamed my Pegasus seat with this and although I haven't distance tested it, it feels about right.. and not too harsh on the old farmers :-)
warts
Main scooter: honda

My proper bike was reputed to have the most comfortable seat ever. Until my weight crushed it.
Went through the normal channels, paid a professional to refoam and recover - looked nice, but had collapsed about half way across France.
I re did it myself, several times using ever harder denser foam. No attempts lasted very long. Even what was was sold as the densest chopped foam available. Which was also very heavy, and not very long lasting.

At some point, my mind mooched over to the tractor seats of my youth. The cast iron ones on the Fordson at my uncle farm. No softness at all, the comfort came from the shape, bum shaped.
So I thought rather than the cast iron, polystyrene would work. I used a block of high density form from a local packing works.

Easily cut-able and shape-able with kitchen knives and a sanding disc. I used the bike every day for commuting, hacking lumps off bit by bit until it felt right.
As I used to take the ex back then, she had a few rides so it could be customised to her.
Then, some thin foam for immediate soft feel, refit the old cover and all was fine. Untouched since and now 30 years later, still OK. No sagging no collapse, no degradation, just all day comfort.

Worked out a lot less £ than ever more expensive sponge.
Was much lighter, which maybe more of a bonus on a scooter than a 1000cc bike.
Completely impermeable - after heavy rain a swipe with your forearm and you are good to go.

I do use a sheepskin which raised me up slightly - the old knees you know. Also help keep your bum cooler in extreme heat. Works for both a mat to sit on for picnics and a pillow at night.
I have had two in 30+ years. The natural lanolin protects them from any spray - I even leave it on when we stop in the rain, a shake throws all water off.
My local butcher was selling sherling hides at £10 last week.
You can buy fitted ones, with stitched on straps for £100, but mine never caused a problem being unsecured.
After a few journeys the white ones have a nice grey patina that only a mother could love. Fashion victims should slash out on a black or brown one.
AdHum1

Yeah, kitchen sponge won't do you much good :lol: I'd personally recommend a high-density foam sheet probably a medium feel. High density will last longer and be more supportive.
YAMLAM

Try plastizote LD45. Ive a couple of different thickness off cuts in my workshop if you want to try some . pm me.
win or lose have a booze
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information