NK Exhaust compared to Fat Mamba

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ducatiross

Hi all,

I've got a TS1 230 with TMX35, Li150 gearbox and 19/46 sprockets. It runs a PM Fat Mamba exhaust. Result is a lovely fast road racer, with a strong kick into the power band but a bit hard work in traffic and at lower speeds.

If I wanted to make it more suited to road and town use, would an NK exhaust alone do the trick or would another one be better ? Or would it require more work in other areas ?

Thanks !
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I have ts230 with a chiselspeeds ads5 road race a great exhaust you can ride around town and open up in 4tg gear from 30 mph a franspeed race would be also good very similar I run a 30mm vhsh what's 46x19 like in wind and hills

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

ducatiross wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 pm Hi all,

I've got a TS1 230 with TMX35, Li150 gearbox and 19/46 sprockets. It runs a PM Fat Mamba exhaust. Result is a lovely fast road racer, with a strong kick into the power band but a bit hard work in traffic and at lower speeds.

If I wanted to make it more suited to road and town use, would an NK exhaust alone do the trick or would another one be better ? Or would it require more work in other areas ?

Thanks !
Wow! Thats 4:12-1 overall ratio, im guessing an NK road or Chiselspeed 3 would be spot on.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i seem to remember a pipe test in scootering a long time ago and im pretty sure at the time the fat mamba had the best torque accross the rev range than any other pipe, mainly becouse of the fat body, i seem to think rayspeed did make a touring pipe with a fat body a sort of copy, i suspect you may get more torque from a clubman type of pipe, but you will probably lose a lot of power, i suspect you can only pull gearing as low as that as a result of the pm pipe, if you had an nk on it wouldnt pull in top gear unless your downhill with a back wind, with the nk you would have to raise your final drive ratio to match the pipe. im running a 3.9 ratio on my 290 rotax and that pulls like a train, it might just depend on how much power the engine is making and how heavy your scooter and you are, plus your riding style, and do you ride solo and in a very hilly area, i quite like low gearing so you dont have to rev the nads off your scoot to cruise at a reasonable speed,
ducatiross

Yeah it is torquey & makes up to 30bhp depending on dyno.

With current gearing 60mph is at 5800 rpm & on a ride today it was doing 70mph at 7000 rpm. Mind you the tyres are low profile 80s so that counters gearing a little & I will swap them to 100/90 soon.

I've dropped the main jet to 345 & leaned the airscrew out a little. Its better but still a bit like a rabid pitbull on a leash ! Fun for a bit but a bit antisocial ! But it is quick !
ducatiross

I ride solo & am 13 stone so don't have to think about a pillion (good job because they would hate the vicious power delivery]
ducatiross

It pulls 46x19 no problem - uphill & into wind. In 4th. I think thats because it makes a fair bit of power & the mamba keeps it there ! I wouldn't mind it being a bit quieter as well (oh god am I getting old !?)
ducatiross

Oh - and ground clearance on right-handers is pretty poor - exhaust scraped on a roundabout today & nearly had me off ! Thats why I want taller tyres !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information