Suzuki 190

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
daveyf
Main scooter: lambretta 125 dl

Hi,

Is it possible to get 175 cast iron cylinder bored to 190 cc to fit a suzuki piston? The engine on my latest project was running a suzuki 190 with 60 stroke crank with 115 rod (or may be 116 rod I'm not sure). The set up is much too highly tuned and thirsty for my tastes and I have a cast iron 175 barrel that I used for ages on my GP and was wondering could I get this bored out to fit a suzuki piston?

Would this work with SH1/20 carb and standard or clubman exhaust? I dont want a highly tuned kit and want to use some of the parts I have lying around partly for cost reasons and also I like the idea of a standard set up with just a little bit extra. I read in Sticky's book that SX200 / Jet 200 ran SH1/20 carb.

Appreciate there is some serious expertise here so apologies in advance for my general ignorance and any advice much appreciated.
scooterslag

Yes you can use the cast 175 for your 190 kit, I'm guessing as long as you don't go too wild on the porting - you could run a 20mm carb and clubby, was going to do something similar myself a few years ago with a old 190 Suzuki kit I had . Paul
The mack daddy on the left!
Muttley McLadd

For the cost of the reboring and a half decent Suzi piston, isn't there a more cost effective way of saving money on fuel?
CakeAndArseParty
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I have two Casa185 kits.At £400 pounds each(+delivery from Chiselspeed)and nearly or just over(depending how there ridden)100mpg I think there a good buy.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i built one of these last year and it went realy well, maybe yours just hasnt been set up well, if you want better mpg maybe lowering the barrel a bit will improve things, or adding a reedvalve will improve mpg but you would lose a bit of power, who tuned the 190 ?
daveyf

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Olliewtf tuned the cylinder to run with 28mm reedvalve and jl3 exhaust. It was a very fast, thirsty and revvy tune and looking at the cylinder he has done a really nice job. However as the JL3 exhaust has huge hole beyond fixing and I wanted to put a more standard looking exhaust on it this led me to thinking could I get my cast 175 barrel rebored to 190, new piston and use with SH1/20 carb?

In terms of cost i was thinking the cost of a rebore and piston would surely be less than a new kit? I have the 190 head and as there is a 60mm crank with 115 rod the cylinder wont need top and tailing. At the end of the day i could look at a bolt on kit but i am just playing around with ideas to use what i've got.

When I ran the 175 barrel with the 20mm carb it was really nice but just needed a tiny bit more and I was wondering would this be a reasonable route to go?
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

daveyf wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:44 am

When I ran the 175 barrel with the 20mm carb it was really nice but just needed a tiny bit more and I was wondering would this be a reasonable route to go?
If you just need a tiny bit more, why not raise the exhaust 5 or so degrees, same with the inlet, put on a 22mm carb and optimise squish etc. If use jetex, you could do that for 50 quid plus gaskets.
daveyf

thanks that sounds like a potential option.

Would I need to do anything to my 175 barrel for it to work with the 60mm stroke /115mm crank? that previous owner had fitted
hendy

daveyf wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm thanks that sounds like a potential option.

Would I need to do anything to my 175 barrel for it to work with the 60mm stroke /115mm crank? that previous owner had fitted
Not necessarily, you could get a 30mm crown height, 62mm piston; in other words tv175. Or you could use 8mm of base packing. That would cost you about £20. It MIGHT cause you a problem with lining up exhaust brackets etc though. I'd try to source a 62.2mm tv175 piston and get it rebored to suit. Otherwise it's a new 110 con rod which.
hendy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information