Clubman exhaust recommendations?

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I ran a Casa 185 on a standard exhaust briefly. It was phenomenal. Like riding an automatic scooter, but very on, off. I'd stick with a clubman style for that. Some are quieter than others.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Are you running a standard airbox with the narrow neck restriction and standard air scoop? To get more gas out with a bigger exhaust you need to let more gas in, which means modifying your airbox, and modifying the air scoop.

If you're running a standard air intake, then there's not much point fitting a bigger exhaust. Standard is good (if you choose one of the better standard arrangements) as they are economical and reliable and nice to ride. The Sh1/20 is a great carb and good for up to about 185cc with a standardish exhaust.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

if you are referring to my setup Eddie then yes I have tried the standard airbox with my 42mm clubman but I also have a foam filter that I intended to use with this exhaust I just haven't tried it yet. When the scoot has run briefly , it did seem to be a bit flat at WOT as if strangled or starved of fuel and air.

If and when I get the damn thing to run i'll try no filter , foam filter and airbox and compare . I also intend to try the standard box so I may have some feedback to add to this thread
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Hi Rosscia
The gearing is standard SX 4.8, carb is SH2/22 (again because it was there)
I've just built the same setup on my 1982 Jet 200 'cos I had all those spare parts. But as a starter, what main jet did you end up running with.
Thanks
Paul
HotPearlSnatch
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

Essentially all good advice except i'd suggest that a clubman will improve the torque ever so slightly rather than any acceleration and/or top speed.

I don't like the AF under kick start clubman at all. They seem to make the engine vibrate excessively, a VW reverse pipe clubman [again AF] is totally different, increased pull, revs better, cleaner and slightly higher, no noticeable increase in speed [as stated]. A friend has a Gori clubman and that seems to do wonders for his motor but the motor is tuned [RT195] so you'd expect a bit of dazzle...

As for gearing id keep it totally standard unless you have a monster motor.

Oh, the VW clubman is so very loud.....remember folks, Loud Pipes Saves Lives!

Finally 55 flat out is about right in my books too. So many genuine 70mph standard scooters out there, i just never came across one in the 35 years I've been riding [ :D ]
Lambretta67
Main scooter: Lambretta L.I. 200 special

I have a KBA clubman on my G.P.200 engine. Very disappointed. No extra performance just lots of noise.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Ron Moss has just brought out his long awaited clubman. Should be a good all round pipe if anything like his others
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

I though this short video of a recent test run around my Village might give an idea of the kind of noise levels you get with a typical 42mm Clubman exhaust, particularly at deceleration and low revs. This one is an old AF Clubman . The loudness of this exhaust is if anything slightly louder than the video and in a confined space like a typical Town or Village is very noisy indeed and I got scathing looks from everybody especially people walking children and dogs lol.

Too loud for me so I have bought a new 38mm Gp Li SX exhaust from a well know scooter restoration dealer who has one left at £45.00 .....cheap enough to try and no great loss if there is no improvement in sound level and performance.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/eJr38-Gd18E[/youtube]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information