How do you use a battery to test non battery lighting?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I've heard it is possible to somehow wire a battery up to a AC (non - battery) system to check electrics/lighting rather than to have to kick the engine up to see if they are working correctly.

If so how exactly & if so i would assume a 6v battery for 6v systems & likewise 12v for 12v systems.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

All you're doing is putting juice down the wires that would normally take the AC from the regulator to the loom.

Is it an original type AC system or an AC electronic kit with a Vespa type regulator?

Yes, use the appropriate voltage, it's nothing to do with the wires more a case of blowing the bulbs if you put 12V into 6V bulbs - the other way and they'll be a bit dim.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Northener

Thanks for quick response, can tell we're all getting older, in days gone by we'd be out on a Saturday night lol...

It's an original 6v AC system on an Italian GP which i want to test, just easier in my opinion to do this way rather than fire up particularly as it may be late on in the evening when i only find time to sort out.

Do you know what wires would connect to battery, earth etc?

I had low beam blowing (all other bulbs fine) was like this for a long time, then both beams blowing which in turn i lost all bulbs with the exception of the brake light.
rosscla

No regulator then. The junction box connects the stator wires to the loom directly.

You'll have a green, purple, brown and pink from the stator to the junction box.

The green is the ignition wire leave it as is.

You want to put the positive side of the battery to the purple, brown and pink in the loom. Negative side of the battery to earth.

That should let you check the function of the lights as if the engine was running. The horn will just click.

Check all your earths carefully. A multimeter is useful but you can test most of the wiring with a battery and a bulb.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Northener

Thanks again for prompt response, yes just the junction box no regulator, i've a multimeter too & also an old Vespa bulb holder i use with wires/croc clips i usually use when doing timing on points models.

Will try the above method when i can find time.
Northener

Just one other thing, would i need an inline fuse in any of the battery wires - positive wire or earth wire if you do, also what size fuse?
Thanks
rosscla

If you want to be really safe against any dead shorts stick a fuse on positive side before you connect it to the loom wires.

The wiring diagrams are in Sticky's book which is worth investing in.
rosscla

10 Amp should be sufficient
Northener

Just an update on my problems...(that's the scooter & not my life), firstly thanks rosscla for info on how to wire the battery up to test the lights i set things up as you said & all good with that wiring/battery testing system & after spending quite some time i found the light/horn switch to be faulty & after replacing this with another original one lights were fine, since been on a ride out today & all is well so without tempting fate it appears problem solved so thanks again, a damn sight easier than having to fire the bloody thing up all the time to test lights.

One other question for future refernce should i wish to use similar to test the lights on a 12v AC electronic system, CDI etc (not a GP200 Electronic 'red box'), could the same be done if so what wires? without looking at a wiring diagram would they be the same wires from the loom??

Thanks in advance as they say, i'm sure many will be at the IOW right now doing as i once did & too long since i did, so when anyones got time/info etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information