BGM timing wandering

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

hi ,
bought a new BGM Dc ignition kit , gp type flywheel, dc v4 stator , bgm red cdi , wassel regulator .

went over to the scooter restorers and they say timing wanders from 17 then 24 plus when rev engine

anyone had similar issues to this or know cause ? they tried a K2 pick up but no change .

then removed stator and regulator an swapped for indian ac stator an regulator , timing then behaves normally and is stable . so am guessing no issues with flywheel or cdi .

do you have to adjust pick up height / alignment when using all BGM parts still .

really want full dc system to rup sip speedo , spot lamps , and alarm system .

anyone had any similar issues with BGM ignition timing ?
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

You say GP type flywheel , there are 3 types lightweight midnight & normal , which one was it ?
wintermod65

not sure of weight its the BGM flywheel for gp type cranks , its not an indian one or AF one
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

it could be an issue with the alignment of the pick up, they usually come with little shims that you fit under the pickup to get it inline with the triggers inside the flywheel, not easy to get to run correctly sometimes, i would recomend fitting an external pick up from anthony tambs, very easy to fit and seem to give a rock solid position on the strobe and leave the internal one in place as a back up , a get you home spare, ive done the wassel conversion on mine works very well, also got the external pick up and the dc ignition from anthony,, runs very well, also did my mates last weekend and that runs and starts much better.
wintermod65

hi cheers for info holty

not sure if mine came with the shims or were tried by restorer i did think they were just for use with non BGM stators and BGM flywheels

might have complicated things further as have a Granturismo Casing Mag Flange and crank so this possibly might affect things. so that theyd need shims even if all BGM components were used

whats your system spec ? as stated mines all BGM

as a plan b have spoke to Mr tambs too , also just found out the sip speedo ,well rev counter has issues working with a DC system too

all in all bit of a headache choice between DC , good lights //charging battery and additional lights or AC and working rev counter
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I've tapped the brown sensor wire off one of the yellows from the stator on mine rev counter works fine.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

rosscla wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 pm I've tapped the brown sensor wire off one of the yellows from the stator on mine rev counter works fine.
Rosscla did you coil it and tape as you might around the ht lead?
Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

I had same issue with wandering timing from about 14 degrees to 19. asked mr Tambs opinion he said probably pick up alignment. fitted on of his AC stators and it's Rock steady at 17 degrees all the way from tickover to WOT.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

wintermod65 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:15 pm hi cheers for info holty

not sure if mine came with the shims or were tried by restorer i did think they were just for use with non BGM stators and BGM flywheels

might have complicated things further as have a Granturismo Casing Mag Flange and crank so this possibly might affect things. so that theyd need shims even if all BGM components were used

whats your system spec ? as stated mines all BGM

as a plan b have spoke to Mr tambs too , also just found out the sip speedo ,well rev counter has issues working with a DC system too

all in all bit of a headache choice between DC , good lights //charging battery and additional lights or AC and working rev counter
mine is a bgm stator, and an indian flywheel, the pickup was miles off as i have a packer behind my mag flange, so external pickup was the easy solution, the one i fitted to my mates last week was bgm stator indian flywheel and indian mag flange that needed 1 shim under the pickup to run something like, but the external pickup was fitted and used instead, ran and started better, the internal one is just used as a stand by in case the external pick fails, i will fit external pickups to all by scoots now, its belt and braces.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Typically an alignment issue that can be resolved by correcting the height of the pickup. NB: BGM stators normally come with 3 x spacers in the box for doing this very job and it is common to fit all 3 when using with an Indian flywheel. This is covered in the instructions that BGM supply and is a feature, rather than an alignment problem, as it allows the stators to be used with the 80s AF flywheels without having to grind off laminates... easier to pack up than to start grinding off.

Anthony Tambs does also sell some good stator lifting plates that allow alignment to be very accurate.

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information