Rear wheel changing on 1980 P200e...

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
railfancwb

Had my second annual spring rear tire flat on my Vespa P200e. Had made a Rube Goldberg jack arrangement to lift the rear by the homemade(?) rear luggage rack after the first annual event.

This time I was working on a paved parking lot, but still was most glad my son-in-law arrived with my better spare wheel and stayed to help.

Relying on the center stand and my shaky jack for three point support, I had to remove the front wheel and have him press down and toward the rear, until the brake drum was almost touching the pavement before the rear of the body was high enough to allow the rear wheel to be slid in place onto the rear brake drum.

Am I doing something wrong or is it normal to be challenged to get the fresh rear wheel in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
railfancwb

railfancwb wrote:Had my second annual spring rear tire flat on my Vespa P200e. Had made a Rube Goldberg jack arrangement to lift the rear by the homemade(?) rear luggage rack after the first annual event.

This time I was working on a paved parking lot, but still was most glad my son-in-law arrived with my better spare wheel and stayed to help.

Relying on the center stand and my shaky jack for three point support, I had to remove the front wheel and have him press down and toward the rear, until the brake drum was almost touching the pavement before the rear of the body was high enough to allow the rear wheel to be slid in place onto the rear brake drum.

Am I doing something wrong or is it normal to be challenged to get the fresh rear wheel in place?

The Rube Goldberg jack, a posed picture...

And I was reminded after removing the spare I carry that there are right and wrong ways to install the rim and valve steam...

rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I always end up tipping it on its side
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

BTW Is that rear lamp common on Vespas over there?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

rosscla

railfancwb

Bought something similar to these. Did not work well for me.

railfancwb

Now this is more like it!

railfancwb

rosscla wrote:I always end up tipping it on its side
My first annual spring rear flat that is what I did - somewhat unintentionally.

railfancwb

rosscla wrote:BTW Is that rear lamp common on Vespas over there?
Can’t say yes or no...

This is a 1980 P200e apparently sold into the USA market as it has a battery to keep some lights on so long as the key is “on” even if the motor is not running. That may have led to a distinctive tail light. A 1978 Model on eBay had a similar tail light. Others did not.

Went to the AmeriVespa Rally in Memphis in 2016 and took a bunch of pictures. When I reviewed them seeking to answer your question, had almost none which included the tail light.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information