Turn signals on P200e 12 volt USA edition...

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
railfancwb

Finally replaced the bulb and socket and a bit of wire and got the turn signal indicator beside the speedo working.

Now I find that all seems to work OK when I signal a left turn. When I signal a right turn the indicator flashes once. The front signal bulb flashes as it should. The rear signal bulb doesn’t flash. Briefly after I cleaned the bulb and its socket the right side all worked as it should. Then it quit.

The bulb has resistance in the three ohm range. The socket seems to get electricity in the 1/2 to 1-1/2 volts range as the flasher relay does its thing.

Cleaned the bulb and socket again with no change in actual results. Have not rechecked bulb socket voltage.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtyhandslopez

Check where the panel front pin goes in. That's ground and those contact areas get dirty sometimes.
That's not going anywhere...
railfancwb

Yep. Ground connection. Not that far from the light socket however. The screw which is supposed to connect the ground strap to ground isn’t doing its job. In fact it doesn’t want to screw in or out. So my next task is to repair that connection. See picture.

Screw in question is just below the place where the left lense attachment screw goes.

railfancwb

Cleaned the screw and all its immediate contacts - strap, backside metal of fender, washers, nut.

And I thought I cleaned the pin which goes into the frame. Still doesn’t work.

From my ground bypass I know the hot lead is working.

So the next step is to revisit the pin which connects the rear of the fender to the frame. Need to be certain it is cleaned and see how the pin connects to the frame to also make the ground connection.

railfancwb

Ended up bypassing the original approach to ground connection for that turn signal. The pin had a notch worn into it. The mating hole in the body was worn irregular.

Later shortened the leads a bit from what is pictured. The crimp terminals don’t hold the wire very well. So if I rework the bypass again I will remove the plastic jackets from the terminals and solder the metal terminals and wires. Replace the jackets with shrink wrap if necessary.

railfancwb

dirtyhandslopez wrote:Check where the panel front pin goes in. That's ground and those contact areas get dirty sometimes.
Rereading... is it the front pin (near floorboard) or the rear pin (near blinker light) which makes the ground connection for the blinker?

railfancwb

Wondering if removing the paint from the spring and its bracket - which hold the top of the fender against the body - would allow me to eliminate the makeshift ground wire?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information